Topics

Windows 10's second anniversary: birthday cakes and candles, anyone? #msftenable

Hi everyone,

July 29th is a special day for this forum cluster and for the wider Windows 10 ecosystem, as we celebrate Windows 10’s birthday and reflect upon what we’ve seen and achieved as a community. As the anniversary falls on a Saturday this year, I decided to designate this weekend as the Windows 10 Second Anniversary Weekend, with calls for “birthday cakes” (celebratory messages) and “candles” (reflections and feedback).

First, happy birthday to Windows 10 and Windows 10 ecosystem. We had a rough beginning, but two years into this, I and others are confident that Windows 10 is becoming slightly more stable than 2015. Thanks to partnership between Microsoft, users, screen reader writers, third-party app developers and others, I’m confident in saying that it is time to recommend people to use Windows 10, or at least for some, try it out before making a decision.

As a Windows Insider, a screen reader developer and your head list representative, I’m thrilled to see how far Windows 10 ecosystem has come, as well as looking ahead to the next few years and things we could do to make this ecosystem better and more accessible. In 2014 and 2015, I predicted through various channels (including our Win10 forum) that collaboration is the key, and I’m glad to see that this is playing out nicely. At the same time, I and others stressed that we need to give feedback, including that of accessibility, thereby helping to shape this ecosystem and to advocate for transparency and accessibility. From Narrator at early phases of Windows Setup to promise of support for Edge from major screen reader vendors, along with better communication from Microsoft on data privacy, security and compliance, we’ve achieved a lot of things, but I do know that we need to go beyond those to make this ecosystem even better. Some of the things we could do include feedback, sending suggestions and reports to developers of various universal apps, contacting screen reader vendors regarding their support for various Windows 10 features, working closely with members of other forums when it comes to Windows 10 support and what not. But we cannot achieve some of these if our community is fragmented in various places, a subject matter I’ll elaborate in a future post.

To Win10 forum cluster family members, other users, screen reader vendors and what not, thanks for helping to shape this ecosystem through feedback. To Microsoft, thanks for listening to feedback from various channels and keeping the promise of making Windows 10 ecosystem friendlier, especially through accessibility enhancements. To third-party universal app developers, please remember that just submitting your app to Windows Store is one part of being a member of this ecosystem: feedback, especially accessibility feedback matters. To screen reader developers (especially to my fellows), thanks for your continued advocacy, and let us not forget that we’re placed on a strategic position to act as advocates.

Once again, happy birthday, Windows 10 ecosystem.

P.S. A special notice for NVDA users: WinTenApps 17.08 is also known as Windows 10 Birthday Edition, and it includes improvements to support Windows 10 Calculator and what not (check for updates, as the new version is now live).

Well, there are still people saying win10 is full of spyware, privacy breaches and apps they don't or even need as well as forced updates and a lot agree with it a few users on a forum I frequent are going back to win7 and saying how fast it is.

For me, my only issue is that there is still ducking going on in narator and cortana and sound on some hp systems even though I turned effects off, though I had to turn them on again dispite all the issues with speech the hp sound chips either that or the position of the speakers leave less to be desired over my toshiba.

Am not going to buy an hp unit, turn off effects on my toshiba and its fine, turn off effects on my hp and I really wish I hadn't.

App wise on win10, I thank and curse the store and groove.

Thanks for it being usefull but curse it, I spent way to much last month on music way to much <grin>

As for apps bar knfb I havn't really bothered with any actual apps.

The only thing I have no idea is how to create a shortcut in the ribbon, or how to replace a load of files at once without mucking through and stuff like that.

Oh and how search in start menu likes to screw itself for no reason from time to time.

I use firefox and ie but I can use edge I guess if I really have to.

I have heard cortana is a bit disapointing but like bits of narator.

As for how far we have come, I think the biggest improvement is that microsoft is listening to its users.

Paint died, ms got feadback from fans saying they wanted it, paint will become an app it may not be the prefured thing to be about but if people want it it will happen.

Things I really want to see return.

1. crappy though it is and yes while I do have it, I would like old sound recorder back as well as calc.

I'd also like some way to run different windows shells on top of a windows kernal and have them user account spaciffic or switchable with a key.

Even if I had to spend 20-30 bucks a shell I'd still get it.

Shells I want are the windows xp and earlier classic start menu shell, and the win7 start menu shell, and old classic explorer without the ribbon.

My only issue with classic explorer is that on a folder with big files where the files are huge say over 100mb in size and there being 4 or so of them it locks the computer unless you wait till they are finnished loading and tabbing to metadata causes things to stick to.

Then again there are people saying that explorer is good I just want my classic menus back.

I'd also like classic task manager back.

On 29/07/2017 5:01 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Maureen Pranghofer <maureensmusic@...>

Speaking of how fast Windows 7 is, I've noticed a marked improvement in the speed of Outlook 2016 with office 365 since getting the creators update and Jaws 18. It is vastly faster and isn't saying, "Outlook is not responding."
Maureen