Topics

#UniversalApps: How to uninstall these suckers? #jaws

So... just tried an app which is totally useless.

It's called Wunderlist. Note the weird spelling.

W, u, n, d, e, r, l, i, s, t, all one word.

Anyway, I noticed that there was no way in Programs and Features, at least not that I could obviously see, to uninstall universal apps. All I see are my desktop apps.

When I went to Start>Run, and typed in

shell:appsfolder

I don't see my installed universal apps where I could just shift+Delete on them.

If I, using JAWS 18, go to the start window, search for the app, in this case, Wunderlist, then down arrow to it in the results, I then can hit my application's key, down arrow to uninstall, then hit enter.

Here's though where the problem comes in.

At least with JAWS, this doesn't uninstall.

All this does is expands an area in the start screen with an actual uninstall button. This button can be focused with JFW, but it's a little weird, and you have to listen carefully. You'll tab a few times after hitting enter on the uninstall option in the application's context menu, and you'll hear some really strange link from Cortana. But, if you don't shut up JAWS, and keep listenning, you'll notice that this actually is the uninstall button. If I hit space bar there, JAWS won't say a single thing, but, in actuality, the app now seems to be removed. That uninstall button though won't disappear. So, the only way to know is to get out of the start screen, come back in, search again for the app, and see if it says trusted windows store app, or does it say install app. If the ladder, then you can pretty well be sure it's been removed.

I kind a remember there being a way easier way to do this.

Can someone fill me in, as I guarantee that I'm making this, wayyyyyyyyy! wayyyyyyyy! harder than it has to be!

Chris.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+10+how+to+uninstall+apps&t=hc&atb=v33-7__&ia=web

Take your pick.  It's largely the same information but one of these pages is likely to be significantly more accessibility friendly than others may be.
--
Brian      Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

valiant8086

Hi.

In creators update go to settings/apps/manage apps or something like that, the first item. This one's stilll on 1607 so can't double check without pulling out another computer. Anyhow, tab a bunch in there till you find the list of apps. Universal apps appear here as well as desktop apps. If you tab a few times out of the list of apps there's a programs and features link which goes to standard programs and features which yeah doesn't show universal apps. The app manager in settings is extremely sluggish with jaws and reads rather inconsistently. NVDA works better and I would guess Narrator too.

Windows+X, f keystrokes go to the app manager in settings now instead of going to programs and features like it used to.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>

[...]

I know exactly the screen that you are talking about. Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Have a blessed evening.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] #JAWS #UniversalApps: How to uninstall these suckers?

[...]

I have used ccleaner tools unstaller, rightclicking the app in question and hitting uninstall tells me that the app and settings will be gone.

if I then select enter on ok its gone.

And thats how I do a lot of things.

Yes I know I am buypassing things but its accessible and works.

On 27/05/2017 5:06 a.m., Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
[...]

Ryan Mann

It is easy to uninstall these apps if you have the Creator's Update. When you get the Creator's Update, you will be able to hit Windows X. Down arrow to Apps and Features and press Enter. Then you can either look through the list of apps with the arrow keys or in the search box, type the name of the app. If you type the name of the app in the search box, tab back to the list. Press Enter when you find the app you want to uninstall. Tab to uninstall and press Enter again. You will be asked if you want to uninstall. Press Enter again.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 27, 2017, at 5:45 AM, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

[...]

How do I get to that search box you speak of? Is that CTRL+E, as usual?
---
Christopher Gilland

It is easy to uninstall these apps if you have the Creator's Update.  When you get the Creator's Update, you will be able to hit Windows X.  Down arrow to Apps and Features and press Enter.  Then you can either look through the list of apps with the arrow keys or in the search box, type the name of the app.  If you type the name of the app in the search box, tab back to the list.  Press Enter when you find the app you want to uninstall.  Tab to uninstall and press Enter again.  You will be asked if you want to uninstall. Press Enter again.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2017, at 5:45 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
>
> I have used ccleaner tools unstaller, rightclicking the app in question and hitting uninstall tells me that the app and settings will be gone.
>
> if I then select enter on ok its gone.
>
> And thats how I do a lot of things.
>
> Yes I know I am buypassing things but its accessible and works.
>

>> On 27/05/2017 5:06 a.m., Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
>> So... just tried an app which is totally useless.
>>
>> It's called Wunderlist. Note the weird spelling.
>>
>> W, u, n, d, e, r, l, i, s, t, all one word.
>>
>> Anyway, I noticed that there was no way in Programs and Features, at least not that I could obviously see, to uninstall universal apps. All I see are my desktop apps.
>>
>> When I went to Start>Run, and typed in
>>
>> shell:appsfolder
>>
>> I don't see my installed universal apps where I could just shift+Delete on them.
>>
>> If I, using JAWS 18, go to the start window, search for the app, in this case, Wunderlist, then down arrow to it in the results, I then can hit my application's key, down arrow to uninstall, then hit enter.
>>
>> Here's though where the problem comes in.
>>
>> At least with JAWS, this doesn't uninstall.
>>
>> All this does is expands an area in the start screen with an actual uninstall button. This button can be focused with JFW, but it's a little weird, and you have to listen carefully. You'll tab a few times after hitting enter on the uninstall option in the application's context menu, and you'll hear some really strange link from Cortana. But, if you don't shut up JAWS, and keep listenning, you'll notice that this actually is the uninstall button. If I hit space bar there, JAWS won't say a single thing, but, in actuality, the app now seems to be removed. That uninstall button though won't disappear. So, the only way to know is to get out of the start screen, come back in, search again for the app, and see if it says trusted windows store app, or does it say install app. If the ladder, then you can pretty well be sure it's been removed.
>>
>> I kind a remember there being a way easier way to do this.
>>
>> Can someone fill me in, as I guarantee that I'm making this, wayyyyyyyyy! wayyyyyyyy! harder than it has to be!
>>
>> Chris.

Hi,

That search box has no shortcut defined (as far as I can tell).

> [...]

>> I kind a remember there being a way easier way to do this.
>>
>> Can someone fill me in, as I guarantee that I'm making this, wayyyyyyyyy! wayyyyyyyy! harder than it has to be!

I guess I'm confused how to determine the difference in this particular box we're referring to, vs. the main search box that searches all settings in general that CTRL+E would normally take you to.
---
Christopher Gilland

> [...]

>> I kind a remember there being a way easier way to do this.
>>
>> Can someone fill me in, as I guarantee that I'm making this, wayyyyyyyyy! wayyyyyyyy! harder than it has to be!

Ryan Mann

Press the tab key until you get to that search box. Type the name of the app. Then cab into you get back to the list. At least it works this way with NVDA.

Sent from my iPhone