Topics

First impressions of #narrator

Tyler Spivey

First impressions of Narrator, in no particular order:
* The OneCore voices are more responsive and have less pauses than they do in NVDA. I hope NVDA can use the same functionality.
* Alt+tab isn't smooth.
When I press alt+tab I expect to hear the program name I switched to. Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or "Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.
After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program.
* I don't know of an API that can be used from external applications to talk to Narrator.
Several programs use this. For example, Twitter clients and games.
* When I alt+tab to notepad to continue writing this message, I can't quickly press the arrows to move without silencing the speech first while Narrator is reading the window title.

Which is why I must sadly say that narator is still while getting better totally and utterly crap.

Sorry but nvda is still way ahead in this reguard.

What I want to know is what it does with file copy opps as well as long opps does it perform well in this and web work.

These first impressions remind me how not ready for primetime it actually is.

On 25/05/2017 3:32 p.m., Tyler Spivey wrote:
First impressions of Narrator, in no particular order:
* The OneCore voices are more responsive and have less pauses than they do in NVDA. I hope NVDA can use the same functionality.
* Alt+tab isn't smooth.
When I press alt+tab I expect to hear the program name I switched to. Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or "Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.
After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program.
* I don't know of an API that can be used from external applications to talk to Narrator.
Several programs use this. For example, Twitter clients and games.
* When I alt+tab to notepad to continue writing this message, I can't quickly press the arrows to move without silencing the speech first while Narrator is reading the window title.

Devin Prater

Do y’all remember when NVDA wasn’t ready for primetime? Now it’s what many people use.

Devin Prater
Assistive Technology in training, World Services for the Blind
Sent from Mail for windows 10

Which is why I must sadly say that narator is still while getting better

totally and utterly crap.

Sorry but nvda is still way ahead in this reguard.

What I want to know is what it does with file copy opps as well as long

opps does it perform well in this and web work.

These first impressions remind me how not ready for primetime it

actually is.

On 25/05/2017 3:32 p.m., Tyler Spivey wrote:

> First impressions of Narrator, in no particular order:

> * The OneCore voices are more responsive and have less pauses than

> they do in NVDA. I hope NVDA can use the same functionality.

> * Alt+tab isn't smooth.

> When I press alt+tab I expect to hear the program name I switched to.

> Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or

> "Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.

> After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program.

> * I don't know of an API that can be used from external applications

> to talk to Narrator.

> Several programs use this. For example, Twitter clients and games.

> * When I alt+tab to notepad to continue writing this message, I can't

> quickly press the arrows to move without silencing the speech first

> while Narrator is reading the window title.

Well I remember it was basic but not as basic as narator in xp was.

On 26/05/2017 6:57 a.m., Devin Prater wrote:
[...]

I filed the issue about alt+Tab.

Anyone care to vote it?

---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:32 PM
Subject: [win10] First impressions of #Narrator

First impressions of Narrator, in no particular order:
* The OneCore voices are more responsive and have less pauses than they
do in NVDA. I hope NVDA can use the same functionality.
* Alt+tab isn't smooth.
When I press alt+tab I expect to hear the program name I switched to.
Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or
"Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.
After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program.
* I don't know of an API that can be used from external applications to
talk to Narrator.
Several programs use this. For example, Twitter clients and games.
* When I alt+tab to notepad to continue writing this message, I can't
quickly press the arrows to move without silencing the speech first
while Narrator is reading the window title.

See... this is exactly the attitude that won't get us anywhere with Narrator improvement, and precisely why I decided to start this project.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:10 AM

Which is why I must sadly say that narator is still while getting better
totally and utterly crap.

Sorry but nvda is still way ahead in this reguard.

What I want to know is what it does with file copy opps as well as long
opps does it perform well in this and web work.

These first impressions remind me how not ready for primetime it
actually is.

On 25/05/2017 3:32 p.m., Tyler Spivey wrote:
> First impressions of Narrator, in no particular order:
> * The OneCore voices are more responsive and have less pauses than
> they do in NVDA. I hope NVDA can use the same functionality.
> * Alt+tab isn't smooth.
> When I press alt+tab I expect to hear the program name I switched to.
> Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or
> "Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.
> After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program.
> * I don't know of an API that can be used from external applications
> to talk to Narrator.
> Several programs use this. For example, Twitter clients and games.
> * When I alt+tab to notepad to continue writing this message, I can't
> quickly press the arrows to move without silencing the speech first
> while Narrator is reading the window title.

Devin,

These were my words exactly to my friend Ben, who's on this list, and is probably the very first person, in fact, I think he *was!* ironically, the first person I told about this project, and my goals. I couldn't have said what you just did any better.
---
Christopher Gilland

Which is why I must sadly say that narator is still while getting better

totally and utterly crap.

Sorry but nvda is still way ahead in this reguard.

What I want to know is what it does with file copy opps as well as long

opps does it perform well in this and web work.

These first impressions remind me how not ready for primetime it

actually is.

On 25/05/2017 3:32 p.m., Tyler Spivey wrote:

> First impressions of Narrator, in no particular order:

> * The OneCore voices are more responsive and have less pauses than

> they do in NVDA. I hope NVDA can use the same functionality.

> * Alt+tab isn't smooth.

> When I press alt+tab I expect to hear the program name I switched to.

> Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or

> "Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.

> After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program.

> * I don't know of an API that can be used from external applications

> to talk to Narrator.

> Several programs use this. For example, Twitter clients and games.

> * When I alt+tab to notepad to continue writing this message, I can't

> quickly press the arrows to move without silencing the speech first

> while Narrator is reading the window title.

David Moore

Exactly!

Look at how far NVDA has come! Narrator will improve the same way over the years!

David Moore