Topics

Head list representative steps up to the stage (please read): culture change, June 2017 is Narrator and UWP Challenge and feedback month #AdminNotice #msftenable #narrator

Citizens of Win10 forum and subgroups,

First, thanks goes to Chris G for a proposal on using Narrator for a while in hopes of providing feedback to Microsoft. This has been accepted for two reasons: for feedback gathering, as well as an opportunity for a culture change. I’d like to ask Jeff Petty from Microsoft to make his formal intro as a reply to this letter.

Background: All of us have something we believe in or behavior that’s acceptable for us, and these form our cultural worldviews. For many of us, using what we know already is a time saver and quite efficient. But look around us now: every day we face challenges, new forms of harm are reported (yes, condolences to people of Manchester), and technology changes at a remarkable pace.

As people with disabilities, we often learn alternatives, including various assistive technologies. Sometimes, we’re so into what we know that we forget that the world is in a constant flux. This means that, at one point or another, we need to step outside and taste what’s going on around us. In context of Windows 10, this is more so now: the era where you can just sit back and eat what we have is over; sometimes, we have to venture out of our comfort zone, and this is what I mean by a “culture change” – willingness for all of us to experiment with new things.

Therefore, I hereby declare that, for the entire month of June 2017, I’d like to ask all of us to do the following two things:

  • Use Narrator to perform tasks. If you are a Windows Insider, please provide at least one feedback regarding Narrator in June 2017.
  • Use at least ten universal apps – five you know, five you wanted to try. At least three of these should be something you can download and/or purchase from Windows Store.

I’m doing this for three reasons:

  • Windows 10 and Universal Windows Platform (UWP) are feedback-driven ecosystems, therefore our feedback is very important to developers.
  • We need a culture change. Until now I’ve been asking all of you to at least try universal apps. But I believe it is time to take it to the next level: use universal apps (or volunteer yourself to using them), taste them, and give feedback. And no, this won’t be forced upon you. Sometimes a radical change in culture is required, and I believe it is time to implement at least some of them; but I know that you don’t want this forced upon you, so it should be something you are willing (yes, willing) to go through.
  • We need to think: don’t just listen to what I and other experts say. You should be willing to challenge my assumptions, beliefs and what not, and given recent events in the assistive technology landscape, we need to think critically about the information presented to us and make wise decisions. And yes, part of that involves having the willingness to try out new things.

Again I’d like to request that all members of this forum cluster join this campaign. Also, this should not be limited to this forum cluster: folks outside should also participate and provide feedback.

Thank you.

Joseph,

            Might I suggest, as part of this, that participants suggest Universal Apps that others might like to try, with a brief description?

            I will be the first to admit that I have not spent one second playing with Narrator, despite my best intentions of doing so, and that I do not routinely use a single Universal App (unless you count Edge, and that's my tertiary web browser).  I dislike the Windows 10 Mail App for a number of reasons, though I could use it, but I'd love to know what others are actually using in the world of universal apps, and for what purposes (if they're not obvious, like the Mail App).

--
Brian      Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.

Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.

Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Hi,

Agreed. Also, it would be helpful if people use the #UniversalApps hashtag when discussing apps you found interesting. Thanks.

[...]

Ryan Mann

If we use a universal app, I'm assuming we give feedback  to the developer, not Microsoft?  I haven't done much with the Windows 10 app store.  Is there a way to give feedback to developers from there?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 24, 2017, at 7:21 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

To the developer, yes, but preferably to both the developer and Microsoft for the month of June.

[...]

heather albright

So far the only app I use from the store is the mail app. I use skype, twitter, facebook, knfb etc. off my apple side! It was just plain easier. But I am always willing to try some apps from the store. Is there a list you want us to try? Thanks, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Imagination is the only limit: don’t limit yourself to what’s already popular.

[...]

I should have said: don’t limit yourself as to what apps you can try.

[...]

Kurt Miller

I have been wanting to try using narrarator, but don’t know anything about using it except turning it on and off. Is there a tutorial on using it anywhere so that I can participate in this.

Thanks,

Kurt

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Kenny Peyattt jr.

Hi joseph I thought about also creating a narrator mailing list on groups.io but was want to get people’s ideas on what features they would want to discuss on the narrator mailing list.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

I’d say a dedicated Narrator mailing list is unnecessary at this time.

[...]

Allen West

Joseph,

Great suggestion. I use Narrator sometimes and find it works better
with some onboard apps better than JAWS and NVDA. I downloaded a
calendar app for a friend the other day called Power Calendar. It did
pretty ok with Narrator. Now I will download some apps for myself and
give feedback.

Kindest regards

Allen

[...]

Hmmm interesting, I have always discounted narator because of its poor performance rating as well as most of uwp and even edge.

Articles from serotech have shown to me that microsoft does not have all its bits under one controler and that bits like those on edge seem to only want to handle their own interests.

And therefore making comercial readers at least hard to support things.

I don't have a system to muck about with with universals in fact my administration of things revolves round the desktop.

I rarely have to do anything with narator, I hardly have to interact with file copy dialogs.

But if you are challenging time dependant I will try to do all my admin tasks with narator.

Try not will.

I still have to work with 2 windows workstations not on 10, my own and another but we will see.

*

*Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.*

*Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.*

I know how to access the scan comand but thats about it.

I have used it to click a few things but still.

On 25/05/2017 12:25 p.m., Kurt Miller wrote:
[...]

Ben J. Bloomgren

Due to Chris’s prompting, I took a better look at Narrator the other night, and I liked what I saw much more than I had thought. I’m a bit on the old side, so I remember Microsoft Sam under Windows XP, which clouded what I knew about Narrator. When I got that nasty voice out of my head and actually did a little with it, I began to see its potential. Therefore, I’m in for the culture change in June.

Ben

[...]

Jeff Petty

Thank Joseph and Chris and to everyone that participates in the #NarratorChallenge.

I’m a lead on the Windows Accessibility team working to make Narrator great.

As you may know, last week I wrote a blog titled Windows Accessibility: What to Expect Later This Year. The blog recaps some recent Narrator improvements and shares some improvements that will arrive in Insider builds next month and be generally available later this year.

While we have made progress with Narrator, we appreciate that we have much more work to do to achieve a great experience. Your feedback is critical to help us improve the user experience. I really like the idea of using Windows 10 apps with Narrator and providing feedback about what works and what can be improved.

There are a few resources worth mentioning to help folks who are new to Narrator.

First, the Microsoft Narrator user guide is located at http://aka.ms/narratorguide. This is a good place to get started if you are seeking to understand how Narrator is like other screen readers and how it is different from other screen readers.

Second, there are a couple of ways to provide feedback today. Please choose whatever option is most convenient and efficient for you. We are happy get the feedback either way.

In Windows 10, press Windows logo key + F to launch the Feedback app. This is a great place to see feedback that others are providing, upvote feedback that you agree with and enter new feedback. You can also submit feedback from within Narrator by pressing CAPS + E + E. This will launch a form to quickly submit feedback. The great thing about the Windows 10 Feedback App is that it is directly integrated with our engineering system. When you provide feedback here, it gets reviewed by the engineers working on Narrator as part of what we do every day.

We also track Narrator feedback at https://microsoftaccessibility.uservoice.com/. This accessible web also includes the ability to search for and see Narrator feedback from others, the ability to upvote feedback and the ability to enter new comments. We review the information here too.

Thanks for taking the time to explore Narrator and lets us know what’s working and what we can do better.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Jeff Petty for the Windows Accessibility team

@jeffreyspetty on twitter

David Moore

Hi guys!

I want to know if the modifier keys can be turned off in Narrator speech. I keep hearing right arrow, for example, when I read character, and I can’t hear the characters with Narrator saying right arrow every time. Is this something that still needs to be updated in Narrator. I already put this in the win10 feed back, but I just want to be sure that I am not missing anything to turn off those keys like windows, alt, and those keys from being said.

David Moore

> [...]

> implement

> at least some of them; but I know that you don't want this forced upon you,

> so it should be something you are willing (yes, willing) to go through.

> *          We need to think: don't just listen to what I and other experts say.

> You should be willing to challenge my assumptions, beliefs and what not,

> and

> given recent events in the assistive technology landscape, we need to think

> critically about the information presented to us and make wise decisions.

> And yes, part of that involves having the willingness to try out new

> things.

> Again I'd like to request that all members of this forum cluster join this

> campaign. Also, this should not be limited to this forum cluster: folks

> outside should also participate and provide feedback.

David Moore

Hi Joseph and all,

I would very much like to participate in the Culture challenge in June. I love experimenting with Narrator already in different apps, and even with IE and Chrome browsers. I have a lot of input for Narrator. I have already sent some win10 feed back on the modifier keys like the arrow keys, and alt, and the like, always speaking. This is exciting, and I will give you guys a lot of feed back about narrator, I will follow Jeff Petty on Twitter.

David Moore

[...]

For those who know how to use Feedback hub: after submitting feedback and once your item appears, please share the link with this group (and in other places such as Twitter).

[...]

Pascal Lambert <rambeau68@...>

Hi everyone,

Please, how do you turn off the reading of spaces by narrator?

Thanks

Pascal