Topics

JAWS 18.0.2945 is out, numerous enhancements for Windows 10 users #jaws

Hi JAWS users,

Version 18.0.2945 is out, bringing with it a host of enhancements for Windows 10 users:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/jaws/JAWSWhatsNew#Enhancements

P.S. Ideally you should have received this post the moment the update came out, but there were some delays from my part.

Cheers,

Joseph

A few nice improvements and the visual cursor tracking is nice, but I wouldn’t exactly call it a “host of improvements”.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 12:59 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] JAWS 18.0.2945 is out, numerous enhancements for Windows 10 users #JAWS

Hi JAWS users,

Version 18.0.2945 is out, bringing with it a host of enhancements for Windows 10 users:

P.S. Ideally you should have received this post the moment the update came out, but there were some delays from my part.

Cheers,

Joseph

g melconian

Just as usual . vfo cant improve or innovate . I was hoping foran ms edge support but htat wont happen. Thisi why I have jus decided ot use NVDA nad narrator for all of my Windows 10 needs. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] JAWS 18.0.2945 is out, numerous enhancements for Windows 10 users #JAWS

A few nice improvements and the visual cursor tracking is nice, but I wouldn’t exactly call it a “host of improvements”.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Subject: [win10] JAWS 18.0.2945 is out, numerous enhancements for Windows 10 users #JAWS

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

Windows Edge support will come and as far as I am concerned I can wait quite happily since Chrome works great and there still is IE and Firefox if needed. From what I hear about how many sighted people are using Edge I doubt even with awesome support I would feel compelled to jump on it.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] JAWS 18.0.2945 is out, numerous enhancements for Windows 10 users #JAWS

Just as usual . vfo cant improve or innovate . I was hoping foran ms edge support but htat wont happen. Thisi why I have jus decided ot use NVDA nad narrator for all of my Windows 10 needs. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

g melconian

Agree with you but if ms edge is becoming default for accessing hee store an other things I would hope hat vfo would support for those vesion 18 users. If nothing changes why upgrde if there is no changes and no support for important aspectst hathe competiton used to do so well till they wer merged and put out of business. 

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 3:46 PM

Windows Edge support will come and as far as I am concerned I can wait quite happily since Chrome works great and there still is IE and Firefox if needed. From what I hear about how many sighted people are using Edge I doubt even with awesome support I would feel compelled to jump on it.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

Don Barrett

Yes, you are right.  It is coming for sure.

VFO has to rewrite a significant amount of JAWS to make it work with Edge, since the DOM is no longer available and they have to grab everything using UI Automation.

It’s a whole new API and it takes a log of work to get it right. 

Don

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 6:46 PM

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

Pradip Chandra Sikdar

Do you want JAWS support for Microsoft Edge???
Oh! that will be the brand new feature in JAWS 19! <grin>
So, be ready with your pocket full of money.

On 5/23/2017 4:16 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Regards,
Pradip Chandra Sikdar
Director of Clavier Productions
Founder of Project Sonic Electronica
Keyboard Player, Composer & Sound Engineer of X-RaF
Catch me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
E-mail: pradeepsikdar@...
Mobile: +91-9883669711

Alan Robbins

If memory serves me correct, I believe support for edge was promised in 18 at some point. Honestly, I do not understand the delay in getting this out as NVDA, which is a free screen reader, already has support and has had it for sometime

On May 23, 2017, at 3:32 AM, Pradip Chandra Sikdar <pradeepsikdar@...> wrote:

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Regards,
Pradip Chandra Sikdar
Catch me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Jaws has been around for a very long time and I am sure as Microsoft changed things Freedom Scientific had to rewrite large parts of Jaws to make it work. As somebody else pointed out Microsoft is moving away from MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility) and screenreaders have to use different methods to get and deal with the information from apps and this is especially true of the new apps from the Microsoft Store as well as I think of Edge. I am no programmer, but I think in these programs virtualizing the screen is no longer possible and Jaws probably needs to be changed in a pretty major way. NVDA which is much younger and probably started out using a different approach probably was able to do this quicker and with less work involved. It is my understanding you can also use Edge to some degree with Narrator, but that doesn’t make narrator a better or more powerful screenreader, if it were we would all use it and Freedom Scientific could lay off all their staff and close shop. I think while Microsoft plans to improve Narrator, they don’t necessarily feel they want to put all other third-party screenreaders out of business. Of course they could just buy NVDA or VFO and incorporate their software solutions into Windows and, in the case of VFO, sell off the hardware products, but I don’t think this is on the roadmap at this point.

Apart from that I think we need to startt hinking of screenreaders as we do of other apps which means that if somebody is happy to use just Jaws or just NVDA than that is fine, but there is also nothing wrong with having both Jaws and NVDA in your arsenal and of course Narrator is built into Windows and just a hotkey away as well. Most of us who have Android phones or iPhones may use both free and paid apps such as with GPS, OCR or object recognition and while at times the paid app is the way to go at other times a free app may be better and even do a better job.

I think for those of us who work demanding jobs or run a business Jaws is often still the screenreader of choice, but if you like how NVDA works and if it does all you want then why not save yourself $5 a month and go the free route. I think it was one of the Tims on this or the Jaws list who complained the other day about the financial burden of having to buy an SMA for Jaws every two years. Interestingly enough he did not reply to my message which basically stated that VFO is in business to make money, that they have staff who expects a paycheck every two weeks and buildings who need to be maintained and that giving everything away for free is not necessarily a good way to stay in business. Furthermore I think an SMA for Jaws Home is $120 every two years and I asked if $5 a month which is what that works out to really is a financial burden even for somebody who doesn’t have a big income. I use Jaws every day and it made it possible for me to start and run a business at a time when NVDA wasn’t even an idea and while I agree that at this point VFO needs to focus on making sure Jaws works awesomely with all aspects of Windows 10 and is more stabil and maybe even more I for one am glad about such great features as convenient OCR and I would never expect Jaws to be free, NVDA is open source and relies on people giving of their time and expertise and that is altogether different from what VFO is doing. Having said this, NV Access is also an organisation and while VFO is a for profit company, NV Access is a not for profit company who rely on regular sponsorship by other companies and individuals as well as on smaller donations. Hopefully some of the people who think NVDA is the best and who use it as their primary screenreader have also donated a few Dollars towards the expenses even a non-profit company has especially since most of us in countries like the US, Canada, Australia and Europe can afford to do so hence it is something that helps those in countries where $5 truly is a lot of money. My wife is Filipina and therefore I know how much money $5 is over there. Her sister works full-time for a company that makes various food products, it’s an 8-hour a day 6-day a week job, it takes her an hour each way to get there and she works all sorts of shifts including night and she is paid about $8 or $9 and that is per day, not per hour.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:03 AM

If memory serves me correct, I believe support for edge was promised in 18 at some point. Honestly, I do not understand the delay in getting this out as NVDA, which is a free screen reader, already has support and has had it for sometime

On May 23, 2017, at 3:32 AM, Pradip Chandra Sikdar <pradeepsikdar@...> wrote:

Hi JAWS users,

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Regards,
Pradip Chandra Sikdar
Catch me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter