Topics

The next wave of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on for NVDA is now available #nvdasr

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

Roger Stewart

Does this also fix the speaking of toast notifications?  With nvda, they don't speak at all right now.

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 12:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

This is something I need to investigate myself in NVDA itself (I was responsible for that code, so I’ll take a look at it; it appears as though MS might be to blame sometimes).

Does this also fix the speaking of toast notifications?  With nvda, they don't speak at all right now.

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 12:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

Found a workaround: you need to restart NVDA, open Start Menu at least once, and then NVDA will announce toast notifications.

Does this also fix the speaking of toast notifications?  With nvda, they don't speak at all right now.

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 12:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

Tyler Wood

Hi,
Sometimes they do speak but most of the time not.
Very odd.
Thanks for looking into it.

On 2016-01-18 2:07 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Lino Morales

OK Joseph quick question. I thought the WIN key plus V then space bar shuld let you work with notifications. This string of commands seems to do nothing. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

On 1/18/2016 3:29 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Boy that's an odd one!  Will give it a try!

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 2:29 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

You need to press Windows+V quickly once you hear the notification sound (they’ll go away after a few seconds).

Does this also fix the speaking of toast notifications?  With nvda, they don't speak at all right now.

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 12:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

enes sarıbaş

hi joseph,
Another problem that exists in the latest 10586 build of windows 10.  When an app or driver crashes, the notification sound is heard but nothing  is read with nvda. Additionally, nothing appears in action center.  The only way to determine what happened is to go to security and  maintenence and view reliability  history.

On 1/18/2016 11:49 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

additionally, could windows update be made to read the size of updates like it did in windows 8.1 and 7. Is this information inaccessible or was it removed by microsoft.

[...]

It was removed by Microsoft (at least it isn’t shown anymore). I tend to use an add-on from NVDA to calculate disk usage before and after updates are downloaded.

Does this also fix the speaking of toast notifications?  With nvda, they don't speak at all right now.

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 12:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

enes sarıbaş

hi joseph,
I use microsoft's description of software updates released in 2016 article to view the file sizes for my pc. It would've been useful to see the sizes to estimate how long the download process would take.

On 1/18/2016 11:57 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

All notifications are posted by a single app (called Shell Experience Host). In order to let NVDA announce these, NVDA needs to know that this app is running, and one workaround is to open and close Start Menu.

Technical: Unlike traditional desktop (Win32) apps, new universal apps (and WinRT apps) can be suspended (in other words, if they are not doing any work, Windows can tell them to go to sleep for a while, mostly to reduce power consumption). In order for a screen reader to provide support for these apps, it needs to know that the app is running. If an app is suspended and then a screen reader starts, the screen reader will not know that the app it is supposed to work with is sleeping, thereby missing announcements from these apps (this is the underlying problem with toast notifications not announced; I cannot go into detail as to how NVDA can announce toasts because we have people who are not knowledgeable in this sort of area and to show impartiality (please ask me offlist if you are really curious); this is another reason for creating subgroups (more on that in the forum congress)).

Does this also fix the speaking of toast notifications?  With nvda, they don't speak at all right now.

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/18/2016 12:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi NVDA users,

The next wave of enhancements to the popular Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is under development. The first test build (version 16.01) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html

There are two fixes:

·         Certain information such as Windows Update progress are announced automatically in Settings app.

·         Submenus in Start Menu tile context menu (such as resize) are recognized as submenus (this is a temporary fix).

Thanks.

Hi Roger and others,

For those experiencing this problem, please take a look at the following site:

I and Jamie Teh from NV Access has come to the conclusion that, once again, Microsoft is to blame (yet another UI Automation bug not fixed few months later, which means it could affect other screen readers such as JFW and Window-Eyes).