Topics

Welcome to Creators Update, critical standby period begins, staff changes at Microsoft #AdminNotice #branchprogression

Ladies and gentlemen,

A few days ago I wrote a letter to this list regarding Creators Update rollout. In that letter I announced that we have entered Creators Update era and the first 72 hours after a feature update release is critical. Today I would like to send out some follow-up announcements regarding this matter.

But first, I’d like to announce that Kelly Ford has left Microsoft, and a couple Microsoft engineers has joined this forum cluster: Jeff Petty, a Narrator developer, and Larry Weiss; I’m sure both will make their intros when they are ready. Please wish Kelly luck as he works on other endeavors, and please show Jeff, Larry and others at Microsoft respect, as they are valuable channels for communication between users, engineers, third-party developers and what not. In addition to staff at Microsoft, please show respect to screen reader representatives such as several JAWS beta testers, Quentin from NV Access and others.

With that out of the way, a few announcements regarding Creators Update:

  • Creators Update rollout has begun. As I and others have stressed, many of you won’t find Version 1703 waiting for you at Windows Update today. At some point, you’ll get a toast notification advising you to check privacy settings, and that’s when you’ll know that Creators Update is not far off. During the upgrade installation, some of you will be asked to check privacy settings at the end of the upgrade. I strongly urge people to use Narrator for this portion, as third-party screen readers might not load during this phase.
  • Early flights are for those who are truly prepared: as I wrote recently, early flights (Update Assistant route) is intended for those who can provide technical support on their own, and we did receive reports of people meeting changes the hard way. For this reason, I and others have advised (and will continue to advise) that people wait until feature updates show up on Windows Update, and Creators Update is no exception.
  • Critical standby period starts now: the 72-hour critical standby period did not start on April 5th; it starts today. That is, the first 72 hours after general availability of a feature update is when we’ll get high traffic regarding upgrades, questions on features and what not. What you saw last week is just a taste of what you’ll see in the next few days, so please sit tight. For Windows Insiders, as I said a few days ago, I’d like to request your help in helping other passengers meet Creators Update (unless you have moved onto Redstone 3).
  • Make sure you back up and update programs you are using, especially screen readers: As I wrote a few days ago, when you install Version 1703, you are effectively installing a new Windows version. Thus, please back up your data somewhere and make sure programs you’re using are up to date, including screen readers. During feature update rollouts, there is at least one person who talks about an issue with Windows 10, only to discover that it was an issue with his or her screen readers not being up to date and compatible. I would like to personally plead with everyone that checking compatibility of your screen reader with Windows 10 releases should now be second nature to you.
  • Most importantly, have a great time and a safe upgrade when your computer is ready for Creators Update.

Alan Robbins

Joseph,
You say to check privacy settings, this is something I have never done and other major updates. What are they supposed to be set and or two?

On Apr 11, 2017, at 14:56, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Settings/Privacy, various subcategories. Configure settings to your liking.

[...]

Ron Kolesar

So Joe.
So what does the new win 10 creator up grab give to we JAWS users?
Just curious.
Many Thanks.
Ron who just installed both the new win 10 upgrade and the new jaws upgrade

[...]

Kenny Peyattt jr.

Why will we be asked to check our privacy settings before the creator update arrives to the pcs via windows update?

Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

The following changes are applicable to all screen readers (JAWS included):

  • Start menu: hide apps list, organize tiles into folders.
  • Cortana: change volume, changed listening mode key.
  • Action Center: changes to certain toast notifications.
  • Settings: 11 categories, Night Light, Game Mode, choose where to get apps from, up to 18 hours for active hours, many changes.
  • Dynamic ducking: allow Windows to dynamically adjust volume if told to do so by software, somehow involved in broken audio ducking functionality in Creators Update in JAWS (this issue does not impact NVDA and Narrator users anymore).
  • Dynamic lock: lock a computer when a Bluetooth device is out of range.
  • So many changes. See the list archive for details. I will not go into Edge because JAWS does not support it properly at this time.

[...]

As a follow-up: in order to encourage people to look up info on their own and to let others answer questions, I’ll take a break from answering questions about features in Creators Update.

[...]

I am slightly confused about what point you mean that you strongly suggest in the update using Narrator.

Can you try to explain a little more in depth what's gonna happen regarding that, most likely?
---
Christopher Gilland

[...]

I totally second this question, and what also did you mean more specifically about there being a point where I'd want to use Narrator.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:28 PM

[...]

I kind a wonderred that same thing. Is MS trying to hint that they're spying on us? By the way, that question is mainly joking, although at the end of the day, I'm like 20% serious.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:47 PM

[...]

Steve Dresser

Probably because the update resets them to their default and if you don't check them beforehand you may not remember how you had them set.

Steve

[...]

OK, but what if no one answers. I really think a lot of people probably are not gonna be that interested in the night light feature, for instance, yet, giving my past childhood, this is a bit of a unique situation, and I could see where this new feature could be very very theraputic for me. If no one answers, please promise me you'll then chime in.

Chris.

If you, any you, have never cruised through the privacy settings in Windows 10 you should.  Many would not be pleased with all of the defaults as they are set up.  This is on any of the releases of Windows 10.

Reporting for myself, I did not get anything from Windows 10 regarding checking Privacy Settings except as part of the Creators Update, and then there is a dialog presented for the specific Privacy Settings that may have been changed by the update.  I can't say, "were changed," because it depends on what you had them set to to begin with.   There were a great many complaints, and legitimate ones in my opinion, about previous major updates of Windows 10 changing settings, and particularly privacy settings, that a user had reset themselves and had every reason to believe would remain as they'd set them until they changed them again.  This is not necessarily so and, for myself, I have no problem with an update changing settings so long as part of the update is presentation of a dialog identifying said settings and asking me to tweak those as I see fit.

It is not incumbent on anyone here to be the one and only messenger about changes to Windows 10 Creators Update.  There are thousands of pages already written on Microsoft's site and in the technical press regarding the changes to Windows 10 with the Creators Update.  It is not unreasonable not only to ask, but to expect as standard operating procedure, members on a technical forum to do web searches to get answers that everyone knows, or should strongly suspect, are out there.  I am using the following not to call out Mr. Gilland, but because it is convenient:  A search in any web search engine on "Windows 10 Night Light" (or nightlight as one word) returns article after article after article on what it is and how to use it.  Likewise a search on "Windows 10 Creators Update New Features".

--
Brian

    . . . it misses the point that even if you eliminated all cultural biases, human beings would still form stereotypes.  It's simply how the brain works.

            ~ Scott Safier,  March 10, 2004

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

hit the windows key and type control panel hit enter

~ Scott Safier, March 10, 2004

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Awesome, and yes. It looks like I got through the update with success. I never was asked about privacy settings, however, I did manually go through and make sure they were correct.

I also got all my default apps back like I like them.

Thank you for your help, Austin. Greatly appreciate it, bro.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:49 PM

On 4/12/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
> Whatever. I'm not arguing this. Enough said.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
>
> http://www.gshministry.org
> (980) 500-9575

austinpinto.xaviers@...
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

also 1 advise which i forgot to make in my previous mail.
do not and i mean under any condition do not remove the windows.old
folder untill you test and see that everything works as expected.
once you see that everything works and you know that you dont need the
role back point do the following.
1. press alt enter on local disk c.
2. select disk cleanup
3. after the results of calculation are up select clean system files.
4. let it calculate this will take some time.
5. check all the boxes and then select ok and anser yes to all questions.
6. done.
after this there is no safe way to role back to 1607.
the risky way is if you have build 1607 iso and run setup file and
select upgrade.
but i dont know if it will work and what will be the damages if any