Topics

Just joined this group. question your use of Win 10 versions with numbers: 15, 16 & 17.

Peter Tesar

Hello,

Why are you referring to Windows 10 with the numbers: 15, 16 and 17.

When I run "winver", I get:
Microsoft Windows
version 10.0 (build 10240)
copyright 2015 all rights ...

Should I be concerned?
Should I be contacting the Microsoft disability answer desk?

Peter T.

Ryan Mann

Before calling Microsoft Accessibility, I would go into Settings, updates and security, software update. Tab to Check for Updates and press Enter. If that doesn't find a newer build, I would call Microsoft Accessibility.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2017, at 9:54 PM, Peter Tesar <ptesar@ca.inter.net> wrote:

Hello,

Why are you referring to Windows 10 with the numbers: 15, 16 and 17.

When I run "winver", I get:
Microsoft Windows
version 10.0 (build 10240)
copyright 2015 all rights ...

Should I be concerned?
Should I be contacting the Microsoft disability answer desk?

Peter T.

Hi Peter,
You are running the first release of Windows 10 (build 10240). The latest
out there is build 14393 (Anniversary Update). As Ryan suggested, try
upgrading to latest release, as build 10240 is nearing end of support for
consumers and businesses (not for mission-critical devices, as they run a
completely different version of Windows 10 designed for them and will be
supported for a long time).
Regarding version numbers: starting from November 2015, Microsoft have been
referring to Windows 10 releases using a year/month scheme (YYMM). For
example, the Anniversary Update is called Version 1607 as the work was
completed in July 2016 (year 16, month 07). Thus, the version you're running
is called Version 1507, and the upcoming version is named 1703, otherwise
known as Creators Update. Thus, you'll see people call the next version
"Creators Update", "Version 1703", "build 15063" and so on, all referring to
the same release. I personally use the YYMM scheme as it is easier to keep
track of releases, and I have adopted this scheme for version identifier
hashtags (for example, #WinTen1703).

Before calling Microsoft Accessibility, I would go into Settings, updates
and security, software update. Tab to Check for Updates and press Enter.
If that doesn't find a newer build, I would call Microsoft Accessibility.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2017, at 9:54 PM, Peter Tesar <ptesar@ca.inter.net> wrote:

Hello,

Why are you referring to Windows 10 with the numbers: 15, 16 and 17.

When I run "winver", I get:
Microsoft Windows
version 10.0 (build 10240)
copyright 2015 all rights ...

Should I be concerned?
Should I be contacting the Microsoft disability answer desk?

Peter T.

Hi Peter,

I guess it's a bit like in iOS, there is the actual version like iOS 10 and it's builts like iOS 10.2.1 or iOS 10.3. However, if on an iPhone you go to Settings > General > About you find another designation, with iOS 10.3 it is followed by 14E277.
In Office it is the same thing, everybody refers to Office 2013 or Office 2016, but if you go to the Program Files folder and find the Office installation folder you see Office16 for Office 2016, Office 2013 happened to be Office15 and if you check the version in an Office app like Outlook you get this for the most current version: Microsoft Outlook Version 16.0.7766.2060.
With Windows 10 the update in November 2015 was refered to as 1511, last year's Anniversary Update was 1607 as in the year 2016 and the month of July (07) although it was August when it was released.
Now this next big update which is about to come out in April and which is called the "Creator's Update" is 1703 as in 2017 and March (03) although again just as last year it will actually be released to the public in April.
If you go to Settings in Windows 10 and then to System > About and tab once Jaws reads a bunch of stuff like your computer name, information about the CPU, RAM and so on. I just cleared the Jaws speech history, let Jaws read it and then went into the speech history and copied the relevant portion. On my laptop the following is what is shown:

Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 OS Build 14393.953

Regards,
Sieghard