Topics

CSUN 2017: Universal app version of KNFB Reader is now available from Windows Store #universalapps #a11y #msftenable

Hi all,

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Vijay Kumar

Wow it’s a great news , I wish they make it economic and affordable for mass users .

CA S Vijay Kumar

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Ron Kolesar

How will we be able to use it?
I have a all in one scanner-printer-fax machine.
We had to uninstall open book because it wouldn’t work with our Lexmark Printer.
That will be awesome if we can get it for the pc.
Many Thanks Ron U.S. ham Station KR3DOG

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Ron Kolesar

Since I’m on a fixed once a month paycheck, I agree with the comment.
Ron

Wow it’s a great news , I wish they make it economic and affordable for mass users .

CA S Vijay Kumar

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

From what I can tell, once the KNFB Reader app starts, you’re presented with scan sources to choose from (on my laptop, the built-in webcam is selected), then choose “take picture” or something similar (might be different if the source is a scanner).

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Cornelius

Hi Joseph, if you happen to have a scanner to try on, let us know how it work.

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

I do have one but it is a wireless all-in-one, so cannot really help out on this one.

Hi Joseph, if you happen to have a scanner to try on, let us know how it work.

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Shai

Hello Joseph,
Pardon me for sounding dense, but how does one search the store for
this app? When I went into the Windows store app I was not able to
find a search feature this is on a Windows10 machine with JAWS18. Just
in case it also matters, I have Google Chrome set as the default
browser.

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone and
Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you via
Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-r
eader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed as
compatible with PC's, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and Surface
Hub. Enjoy.

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Click on joe's link in his email, then go to the about k n f b reader link, then choose windows store and it takes you to the place

Pardon me for sounding dense, but how does one search the store for this app? When I went into the Windows store app I was not able to find a search feature this is on a Windows10 machine with JAWS18. Just in case it also matters, I have Google Chrome set as the default browser.

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone
and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you
via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-
knfb-r
eader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is
listed as compatible with PC's, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic
and Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Doug Parisian <eggmann@...>

I suspect I already know the answer having read the system requirements. I suspect unfortunately that even the windows version will not connect to any flatbed scanner, or scanner/printer combo. So, what kinds of cameras will work; I suspect most will cost as much as my laptop.

[...]

Timothy

You assume incorrectly. Per its manual: "KNFB Reader will detect all cameras and scanners currently connected to your device."

Timothy

available from Windows Store #MSFTEnable #UniversalApps #A11Y

[...]

mattias <mjonsson1986@...>

but?

a webcam are in front on the device not on the back

so useless with a webcam
Den 2017-03-02 kl. 18:52, skrev Timothy via Groups.Io:

[...]

Yes, And that would be one reason why you would use an external scanner or camera. You also have to consider that some tablets do have rear cameras with pretty decent resolution unlike webcams, and since KNFB Reader also works on ARM devices, you can also use it on Windows 10 mobile devices as well.

Timothy

Kevin Cussick

I bought the app, but using the web cam on the Lenovo all in one pc does not seem to work any ideas for a good camera at an affordable price?

On 02/03/2017 02:53, Ron Kolesar wrote:
How will we be able to use it?
I have a all in one scanner-printer-fax machine.
We had to uninstall open book because it wouldn’t work with our Lexmark
Printer.
That will be awesome if we can get it for the pc.
Many Thanks Ron U.S. ham Station KR3DOG

now available from Windows Store #MSFTEnable #UniversalApps #A11Y

Hi all,

KNFB Reader, the OCR and reading app for mobile devices such as iPhone
and Android smartphones, is now coming to a Windows 10 device near you
via Windows Store:

https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-sensotec-nv-announce-launch-knfb-reader-microsoft-windows-10

Note that this is a universal app version of KNFB Reader that is listed
as compatible with PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Holographic and
Surface Hub. Enjoy.

Jim Ruby <jim@...>

It works just fine with my scanner and combo from my desktop. I had the optibook 4600 and a cannon 560.

Will try it on the lap top and see if it will use the camera. Or I should say if I can get good results with the camera.

[...]

Well that really is a shame I was about to add it to my account.
I have a multifunction network scanner, I have a couple webcams but no I will not spend the earth for a camera for scanning the occasional file.
If I have to, I'd rather spend the cash on a spaciffic blindy device or aphone with a good enough unit in.

-----Original Message----- From: george b
Sent: Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:30 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
[...]

.

Timothy

For those who were unable to buy KNFBReader for the discounted price, you can still do so for the price of $19.99 on the Microsoft Store. It looks like the deal has been extended an additional 24hours -- ending on the 4th of March at 20:00 GMT

For those who want more information about the app, consult the Quickstart Guide and Manual, both tagged PDF documents.

Timothy