Topics

NVDA 2017.1 release candidate 1 post #nvdasr

Hi NVDA users,

NVDA 2017.1 release candidate 1 is here. More info can be found at:

https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-1rc1-released/

Note: there are four top issues to be aware of when using NVDA and Creators Update in regards to Edge support, typed characters and audio ducking. I’ll send an advisory regarding these soon.

Tayo Bethel

Hi Joseph:

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

For the last few releases I’ve not been able to read the What’s new part of the help section. It won’t open up in  Firefox, Internet explorer or Edge. I was especially interested to read it this time because improvementsin reading with Kindle for PC were mentioned. Can you help?

Cheers,

Tayo

Hi,

You’ll need Kindle for PC 1.19 or later.

For the last few releases I’ve not been able to read the What’s new part of the help section. It won’t open up in  Firefox, Internet explorer or Edge. I was especially interested to read it this time because improvementsin reading with Kindle for PC were mentioned. Can you help?

Cheers,

Tayo

Tayo Bethel

Hi again,

I see my Kindle is woefully out of date. I’ve  been using the version with the accessibility plugin. Sol do I just download  the latest version of the Kindle app or lookfor the  version with the accessibility plugin?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Timothy

See this page on NV Access's website for more information. As this feature's already in the release candidate, you just need to  download the Kindle beta.

Timothy

I see my Kindle is woefully out of date. I’ve  been using the version with the accessibility plugin. Sol do I just download  the latest version of the Kindle app or lookfor the  version with the accessibility plugin?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tayo Bethel

Thanks everyone. Glad to know the Kindle for PC app is more usable now.

Cheers,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tayo Bethel

Hi:

Still unable to access the  NVDA user guide. The features sound interesting, but I’ve only been able to use the text to speech option. Any way to get to the user guide would be welcome, or  at least the section  for Kindle for PC

.

Thanks,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

What is the User Guide opening in Tayo?  It is a web page and should open in whatever your default browser is.  That may have been set by Windows to be Edge - so hopefully if that's the case, this release should be able to read it better.

If needed, you can find the latest version of the User Guide online here: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html
and the what's new is linked from the download page here: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2016.4/nvda_2016.4_changes.html
That is still to the old release notes until 2017.1 is released (the version released yesterday is the release candidate - it will be identical and released in the next week or so unless anyone finds any major bugs).

In any case, here is the What's New info from this release and the previous release for you:

What's New in NVDA
2017.1
Highlights of this release include reporting of sections and text columns in Microsoft Word; Support for reading, navigating and annotating books in Kindle for PC; and improved support for Microsoft Edge.
New Features
• In Microsoft Word, the types of section breaks and section numbers can now be reported. This is enabled with the "Report page numbers" option in the Document Formatting dialog. (#5946)
• In Microsoft Word, text columns can now be reported. This is enabled with the "Report page numbers" option in the document formatting dialog. (#5946)
• Automatic language switching is now supported in WordPad. (#6555)
• The NVDA find command (NVDA+control+f) is now supported in browse mode in Microsoft Edge. (#6580)
• Quick navigation for buttons in browse mode (b and shift+b) is now supported in Microsoft Edge. (#6577)
• When copying a sheet in Microsoft Excel, column and row headers are remembered. (#6628)
• Support for reading and navigating books in Kindle for PC version 1.19, including access to links, footnotes, graphics, highlighted text and user notes. Please see the Kindle for PC section of the NVDA User Guide for further information. (#6247, #6638)
• Browse mode table navigation is now supported in Microsoft Edge. (#6594)
• In Microsoft Excel, the report review cursor location command (desktop: NVDA+numpadDelete, laptop: NVDA+delete) now reports the name of the worksheet and the cell location. (#6613)
• Added an option to the exit dialog to restart with debug level logging. (#6689)
Changes
• The minimum braille cursor blink rate is now 200 ms. If this was previously set lower, it will be increased to 200 ms. (#6470)
• A check box has been added to the braille settings dialog to allow enabling/disabling braille cursor blinking. Previously a value of zero was used to achieve this. (#6470)
• Updated eSpeak NG (commit e095f008, 10 January 2017). (#6717)
• Due to changes In the Windows 10 Creators Update, the "Always duck" mode is no longer available in NVDA's Audio ducking settings. It is still available on older windows 10 releases. (#6684)
• Due to changes in the Windows 10 Creators Update, the "Duck when outputting speech and sounds" mode can no longer ensure audio has ducked fully before starting to speak, nor will it keep audio ducked long enough after speaking to stop rappid bouncing in volume. These changes do not affect older windows 10 releases. (#6684)
Bug Fixes
• Fixed freeze in Microsoft Word when moving by paragraph through a large document while in browse mode. (#6368)
• Tables in Microsoft Word that have been copied from Microsoft Excel are no longer treeted as layout tables and therefore are no longer ignored. (#5927)
• When trying to type in Microsoft Excel while in protected view, NVDA now makes a sound rather than speaking characters that were not actually typed. (#6570)
• Pressing escape in Microsoft Excel no longer incorrectly switches to browse mode, unless the user has previously switched to browse mode explicitly with NVDA+space and then entered focus mode by pressing enter on a form field. (#6569)
• NVDA no longer freezes in Microsoft Excel spreadsheets where an entire row or column is merged. (#6216)
• Reporting of cropped/overflowed text in Microsoft Excel cells should now be more accurate. (#6472)
• NVDA now reports when a check box is read-only. (#6563)
• The NVDA launcher will no longer show a warning dialog when it can't play the logo sound due to no audio device being available. (#6289)
• Controls in the Microsoft Excel Ribbon that are unavailable are now reported as such. (#6430)
• NVDA will no longer announce "pane" when minimizing windows. (#6671)
• Typed characters are now spoken in Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps (including Microsoft Edge) in the Windows 10 Creators Update. (#6017)
• Mouse tracking now works across all screens on computers with multiple monitors. (#6598)
• NVDA no longer becomes unusable after exiting Windows Media Player while focused on a slider control. (#5467)
Changes for Developers
• Profiles and configuration files are now automatically upgraded to meet the requirements of schema modifications. If there is an error during upgrade, a notification is shown, the configuration is reset and the old configuration file is available in the NVDA log at 'Info' level. (#6470)
2016.4
Highlights of this release include improved support for Microsoft Edge; browse mode in the Windows 10 Mail app; and significant improvements to NVDA's dialogs.
New Features
• NVDA can now indicate line indentation using tones. This can be configured using the "Line indentation reporting" combo box in NVDA's Document Formatting preferences dialog. (#5906)
• Support for the Orbit Reader 20 braille display. (#6007)
• An option to open the speech viewer window on startup has been added. This can be enabled via a check box in the speech viewer window. (#5050)
• When re-opening the speech viewer window, the location and dimensions will now be restored. (#5050)
• Cross-reference fields in Microsoft Word are now treated like hyperlinks. They are reported as links and can be activated. (#6102)
• Support for the Baum SuperVario2, Baum Vario 340 and HumanWare Brailliant2 braille displays. (#6116)
• Initial support for the Anniversary update of Microsoft Edge. (#6271)
• Browse mode is now used when reading emails in the Windows 10 mail app. (#6271)
• New language: Lithuanian.
Changes
• Updated liblouis braille translator to 3.0.0. This includes significant enhancements to Unified English Braille. (#6109, #4194, #6220, #6140)
• In the Add-ons Manager, the Disable add-on and Enable add-on buttons now have keyboard shortcuts (alt+d and alt+e, respectively). (#6388)
• Various padding and alignment issues in NVDA's dialogs have been resolved. (#6317, #5548, #6342, #6343, #6349)
• The document formatting dialog has been adjusted so that the contents scrolls. (#6348)
• Adjusted the layout of the Symbol Pronunciation dialog so the full width of the dialog is used for the symbols list. (#6101)
• In browse mode in web browsers, the edit field (e and shift+e) and form field (f and shift+f) single letter navigation commands can now be used to move to read-only edit fields. (#4164)
• In NVDA's Document Formatting settings, "Announce formatting changes after the cursor" has been renamed to "Report formatting changes after the cursor", as it affects braille as well as speech. (#6336)
• Adjusted the appearance of the NVDA "Welcome dialog". (#6350)
• NVDA dialog boxes now have their "ok" and "cancel" buttons aligned to the right of the dialog. (#6333)
• Spin Controls are now used for numeric input fields such as the "Capital pitch change percentage" setting in the Voice Settings dialog. You can enter the desired value or use the up and down arrow keys to adjust the value. (#6099)
• The way IFrames (documents embedded within documents) are reported has been made more consistent across web browsers. IFrames are now reported as "frame" in Firefox. (#6047)
Bug Fixes
• Fixed a rare error when exiting NVDA while the speech viewer is open. (#5050)
• Image maps now render as expected in browse mode in Mozilla Firefox. (#6051)
• While in the dictionary dialog, pressing the enter key now saves any changes you have made and closes the dialog. Previously, pressing enter did nothing. (#6206)
• Messages are now displayed in braille when changing input modes for an input method (native input/alphanumeric, full shaped/half shaped, etc.). (#5892, #5893)
• When disabling and then immediately re-enabling an add-on or vice versa, the add-on status now correctly reverts to what it was previously. (#6299)
• When using Microsoft Word, page number fields in headers can now be read. (#6004)
• The mouse can now be used to move focus between the symbol list and the edit fields in the symbol pronunciation dialog. (#6312)
• In browse mode in Microsoft Word, Fixed an issue that stops the elements list from appearing when a document contains an invalid hyperlink. (#5886)
• After being closed via the task bar or the alt+F4 shortcut, the speech viewer check box in the NVDA menu will now reflect the actual visibility of the window. (#6340)
• The reload plugins command no longer causes problems for triggered configuration profiles, new documents in web browsers and screen review. (#2892, #5380)
• In the list of languages in NVDA's General Settings dialog, languages such as Aragonese are now displayed correctly on Windows 10. (#6259)
• Emulated system keyboard keys (e.g. a button on a braille display which emulates pressing the tab key) are now presented in the configured NVDA language in input help and the Input Gestures dialog. Previously, they were always presented in English. (#6212)
• Changing the NVDA language (from the General Settings dialog) now has no effect until NVDA is restarted. (#4561)
• It is no longer possible to leave the Pattern field blank for a new speech dictionary entry. (#6412)
• Fixed a rare issue when scanning for serial ports on some systems which made some braille display drivers unusable. (#6462)
• In Microsoft Word, Numbered bullets in table cells are now read when moving by cell. (#6446)
• It is now possible to assign gestures to commands for the Handy Tech braille display driver in the NVDA Input Gestures dialog. (#6461)
• In Microsoft Excel, pressing enter or numpadEnter when navigating a spreadsheet now correctly reports navigation to the next row. (#6500)
• iTunes no longer intermittently freezes forever when using browse mode for the iTunes Store, Apple Music, etc. (#6502)
• Fixed crashes in 64 bit Mozilla and Chrome-based applications. (#6497)
• In Firefox with multi-process enabled, browse mode and editable text fields now function correctly. (#6380)
Changes for Developers
• It is now possible to provide app modules for executables containing a dot (.) in their names. Dots are replaced with underscores (_). (#5323)
• The new gui.guiHelper module includes utilities to simplify the creation of wxPython GUIs, including automatic management of spacing. This facilitates better visual appearance and consistency, as well as easing creation of new GUIs for blind developers. (#6287)

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Tayo Bethel

Hi:

Thanks Christopher. As far as I can tell, when I try to open the user guide in the NVDA menu, it fails completely to open. That is, it tries but then something interferes with the process and it crashes. My default browser is set to Microsoft edge and I’m running the latest insider billed.However, this problem has been with me   for a while now.

Incidentally, I was able to read at least one book by removing and then redownloading it to get the new file format.

Cheers,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

Hmm, does that happen with any other links being opened - eg if you open a link in e-mail or a word document or from somewhere else (that should then open the link in Edge)?

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Tayo Bethel <tayo.bethel@...> wrote:

Hi:

Thanks Christopher. As far as I can tell, when I try to open the user guide in the NVDA menu, it fails completely to open. That is, it tries but then something interferes with the process and it crashes. My default browser is set to Microsoft edge and I’m running the latest insider billed.However, this problem has been with me   for a while now.

Incidentally, I was able to read at least one book by removing and then redownloading it to get the new file format.

Cheers,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Tayo Bethel

Hi:

No, any other links I open, from an email at least, go to edge. I  only have this problem in the NVDA Menu.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

Do you get any kind of error message?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tayo Bethel <tayo.bethel@...> wrote:

Hi:

No, any other links I open, from an email at least, go to edge. I  only have this problem in the NVDA Menu.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Tayo Bethel

No. In the Next Snapshot I was using previously  I would hear an error sound but no message showed up to be read.

Using the RC  I don’t even get a sound.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

Does it happen for all the links on that help menu?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Tayo Bethel <tayo.bethel@...> wrote:

No. In the Next Snapshot I was using previously  I would hear an error sound but no message showed up to be read.

Using the RC  I don’t even get a sound.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

And are you running an installed copy or portable?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
Does it happen for all the links on that help menu?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Tayo Bethel <tayo.bethel@...> wrote:

No. In the Next Snapshot I was using previously  I would hear an error sound but no message showed up to be read.

Using the RC  I don’t even get a sound.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi,

Can you try using master branch (live beta), restart with debug logging, and send the log to Quentin offlist for analysis? Thanks.

Does it happen for all the links on that help menu?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Tayo Bethel <tayo.bethel@...> wrote:

No. In the Next Snapshot I was using previously  I would hear an error sound but no message showed up to be read.

Using the RC  I don’t even get a sound.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Tayo Bethel

Hi:

I’m using an installed copy.

This  happens on all links in the NVDA Menu. I’ll do as Joseph suggested.

Cheers,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tayo Bethel

Hi again:

Problem solved. Apparently NVDA couldn’t figure out which browser was the default. The solution was to go into settins and  reset the browser default to edge. Thanks for all the assistance.

Cheers,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

Oh fantastic,

Odd that the problem occured but great that you got it resolved.  There are still issues with Edge in the Insider builds of Windows 10, so while we've managed to fix a number of Edge issues, anyone using Insider builds is warned that things could change at any moment.

All the best,

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Tayo Bethel <tayo.bethel@...> wrote:

Hi again:

Problem solved. Apparently NVDA couldn’t figure out which browser was the default. The solution was to go into settins and  reset the browser default to edge. Thanks for all the assistance.

Cheers,

Tayo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Andre Fisher

I understand the problem. NVDA has been having issues with Windows
10's Open With... dialog for a while, and it results in crashes of
NVDA. I have experienced this.

wrote:

Hi again:

Problem solved. Apparently NVDA couldn’t figure out which browser was the
default. The solution was to go into settins and reset the browser
default
to edge. Thanks for all the assistance.

Cheers,

Tayo