Topics

network problems

david pritchard <wd.pritchard@...>

Hi list
I have a home network consisting of a win 10 pc, a win 10 pro laptop and a win  7 pc ( which I’ve failed to update to win 10).The network has been operating quite successfully for a couple of years  using a common workgroup and appropriate advanced sharing options without any trouble. Recently however, following a number of normal updates the win 10 pro laptop is no longer visible to either the win 10 or the win 7 pcs. They however,are visible to  the win 10 pro laptop and their public folders can be accessed. I’ve checked the network profile and advanced sharing options on all 3 machines and they seem unchanged.

Googling the problem suggested that one possibility is that there is a make this pc discoverable” option within win 10 which needs to be enabled. unfortunately, even after much searching,I can’t find this button or the advanced options window where you are supposed to find it. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a way of solving it?

All the best

David

Chris

I think the option you are looking for is in control panel > network and sharing > change advance sharing settings

But I suspect if it was working this wouldn’t have changed

The issue probably lies elsewhere

Make sure the service Function Discovery Resource Publication is running

That may or may not be the issue but worth checking its running

Sent: 21 October 2019 11:53
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] network problems

Hi list

I have a home network consisting of a win 10 pc, a win 10 pro laptop and a win  7 pc ( which I’ve failed to update to win 10).The network has been operating quite successfully for a couple of years  using a common workgroup and appropriate advanced sharing options without any trouble. Recently however, following a number of normal updates the win 10 pro laptop is no longer visible to either the win 10 or the win 7 pcs. They however,are visible to  the win 10 pro laptop and their public folders can be accessed. I’ve checked the network profile and advanced sharing options on all 3 machines and they seem unchanged.

Googling the problem suggested that one possibility is that there is a make this pc discoverable” option within win 10 which needs to be enabled. unfortunately, even after much searching,I can’t find this button or the advanced options window where you are supposed to find it. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a way of solving it?

All the best

David

Hi Chris

I checked the fdp and fdr services on my win 10 pro machine and found them both running. However, when I went back to my win 10 pc I found that I could now see the win 10 pro machine! I’m baffled but very pleased the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks for your help

David

Sent: Monday, October 21, 2019 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] network problems

I think the option you are looking for is in control panel > network and sharing > change advance sharing settings

Hi list

I have a home network consisting of a win 10 pc, a win 10 pro laptop and a win  7 pc ( which I’ve failed to update to win 10).The network has been operating quite successfully for a couple of years  using a common workgroup and appropriate advanced sharing options without any trouble. Recently however, following a number of normal updates the win 10 pro laptop is no longer visible to either the win 10 or the win 7 pcs. They however,are visible to  the win 10 pro laptop and their public folders can be accessed. I’ve checked the network profile and advanced sharing options on all 3 machines and they seem unchanged

All the best

David

Sarah k Alawami

Have you turned on the dnetwork discovery service found in windows? I forget the name of it at the moment but if that is set to manual and not auto you are pretty much dead in the water.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 21 Oct 2019, at 3:52, david pritchard via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi list

All the best

David

Chris

It may be that the services are set to manual?

Is so setting them to automatic so they start at login may be required if it happens again

Just to be sure that they are running  if that is the case

Sent: 21 October 2019 15:49

Hi Chris

I checked the fdp and fdr services on my win 10 pro machine and found them both running. However, when I went back to my win 10 pc I found that I could now see the win 10 pro machine! I’m baffled but very pleased the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks for your help

David

Hi list

I have a home network consisting of a win 10 pc, a win 10 pro laptop and a win  7 pc ( which I’ve failed to update to win 10).The network has been operating quite successfully for a couple of years  using a common workgroup and appropriate advanced sharing options without any trouble. Recently however, following a number of normal updates the win 10 pro laptop is no longer visible to either the win 10 or the win 7 pcs. They however,are visible to  the win 10 pro laptop and their public folders can be accessed. I’ve checked the network profile and advanced sharing options on all 3 machines and they seem unchanged

All the best

David

Hi Chris

FDP was set to automatic, FDR reports as “automatic trigger start” whatever that means.

ATB

David

Sent: Monday, October 21, 2019 5:57 PM

Is so setting them to automatic so they start at login may be required if it happens again

Hi Chris

Thanks for your help

David

Hi list

I have a home network consisting of a win 10 pc, a win 10 pro laptop and a win  7 pc ( which I’ve failed to update to win 10).The network has been operating quite successfully for a couple of years  using a common workgroup and appropriate advanced sharing options without any trouble. Recently however, following a number of normal updates the win 10 pro laptop is no longer visible to either the win 10 or the win 7 pcs They however,are visible to  the win 10 pro laptop and their public folders can be accessed. I’ve checked the network profile and advanced sharing options on all 3 machines and they seem unchanged

All the best

David

Chris

Ok that sound right

As long as its working now

Sent: 21 October 2019 18:34

Hi Chris

FDP was set to automatic, FDR reports as “automatic trigger start” whatever that means.

ATB

David

Sent: Monday, October 21, 2019 5:57 PM

Hi Chris

Thanks for your help

David

Hi list

I have a home network consisting of a win 10 pc, a win 10 pro laptop and a win  7 pc ( which I’ve failed to update to win 10).The network has been operating quite successfully for a couple of years  using a common workgroup and appropriate advanced sharing options without any trouble. Recently however, following a number of normal updates the win 10 pro laptop is no longer visible to either the win 10 or the win 7 pcs They however,are visible to  the win 10 pro laptop and their public folders can be accessed. I’ve checked the network profile and advanced sharing options on all 3 machines and they seem unchanged

All the best

David