Topics

Important notice from head list representative: Yahoo! Groups transfer process for thousands of groups will impact various forums on Groups.IO #groupsio

Hi all,

A few days ago Yahoo! Announced that they are shutting down Yahoo! Groups in December 2019. As a result, admins of many groups hosted there are migrating to Groups.IO. Hence, this process will impact various forums on Groups.IO.

Although it won’t affect many of us, I still think it is best to assist blind admins as they transfer to Groups.IO. Hence, as a former Yahoo! Groups owner myself, I would like to request that you help any blind group owner as they join Groups.IO (and for some, this forum cluster). Also, if you know of any members on Yahoo! Groups that deals with Windows 10 and screen readers, please do invite them to join us.

Laz

Hi Joseph,

The referenced message I saw from Yahoo did not state that they were
closing down the groups. It only stated that they would stop certain
features of YahooGroups itself but that messages would still be able
to be sent, etc.

There was a knee jerk response to the subject of the message by those
who panicked but if one read the actual message one would have
understood that they were not announcing the closure of YahooGroups at
all. whether they decide to close YahooGroups altogether in the future
is not known at this time.

Laz

A few days ago Yahoo! Announced that they are shutting down Yahoo! Groups
in
December 2019. As a result, admins of many groups hosted there are
migrating
to Groups.IO. Hence, this process will impact various forums on Groups.IO.

Although it won't affect many of us, I still think it is best to assist
blind admins as they transfer to Groups.IO. Hence, as a former Yahoo!
Groups
owner myself, I would like to request that you help any blind group owner
as
they join Groups.IO (and for some, this forum cluster). Also, if you know
of
any members on Yahoo! Groups that deals with Windows 10 and screen readers,
please do invite them to join us.

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Immigrant

It is not panic. No, Yahoo Groups are not currently closing, but every new
membership will require an invitation, there will be no archives, no files,
and limited functionality for moderators. For all purposes, Yahoo Groups
will be practically nonexistent. Even before the changes, many of us who
moderated Yahoo groups had transferred groups to other servers because Yahoo
Groups became inaccessible for blind moderators.

[...]

mattias <mjonsson1986@...>

and what have groups.io to do with yahoo?

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 04:21 AM, mattias wrote:
and what have groups.io to do with yahoo?
Exactly what Joseph mentioned, it's reasonable to expect that a very great many group owners will be flocking to groups.io, and they'll be doing so very soon if their groups are actually active.

The Yahoo Announcement is here:  https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

I don't think it gets any clearer that the service is being eliminated entirely than the statement, "Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 28 you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

A lot of groups are moving from yahoo to groups.io as it offers the same feature rich experience, and grate support stuff, unlike yahoo at the moment. I left them 20 years ago when they were going down hill, and frankly ever since VZ bought them they went down hill a lot faster.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 10/20/19, Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590@... wrote:

[...]

Many group moderators transfer their Yahoo groups to groups.io because of
the changes on Yahoo Groups.