Topics

Chromium Edge: beta is ready for you to try #chromiumedge

Hi all,

Here it is; beta version of Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. Details can be found at the following Windows blog post:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/08/20/introducing-microsoft-edge-beta-be-one-of-the-first-to-try-it-now/#hrvxYd5zu4MEMZWV.97

Cheers,

Joseph

Just a small note for those who may already be using either the Dev or Canary channels:  these are both "ahead of" the beta channel, which will be the oldest and most stable of the three "under development" channels.  Canary being true alpha and Dev coming between true alpha and beta.

I've been floored at just how stable the Dev channel Edge has been, and that's what I'm still using.   I would expect zero problems with the beta channel given my own experience and that of others I know who are using Dev Edge.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Your message is not clear to me. Are you saying that EdgeDV is newer than Beta?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Chromium Edge: beta is ready for you to try #ChromiumEdge

Just a small note for those who may already be using either the Dev or Canary channels:  these are both "ahead of" the beta channel, which will be the oldest and most stable of the three "under development" channels.  Canary being true alpha and Dev coming between true alpha and beta.

I've been floored at just how stable the Dev channel Edge has been, and that's what I'm still using.   I would expect zero problems with the beta channel given my own experience and that of others I know who are using Dev Edge.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

This should clear it up. Edge Dev is updated weekly. Edge Beta is updated every six weeks. If you want absolute stability, Edge Beta is the one you want.

Edge Dev is quite stable. Brian's experience mirrors mine. I have pretty much stopped using Firefox.

On 8/20/2019 2:36 PM, Loy wrote:

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 02:36 PM, Loy wrote:
Are you saying that EdgeDV is newer than Beta?
Yes.   To me "ahead of" in software development terms means "more recent/newer than."   Also, I explained that Canary is alpha (always ahead/newer than beta in any setting) and that Dev is positioned between the two in terms of "newness."

Governor Staten has given the update intervals for each of the channels for the version of Edge under development.  What I don't know, and never have, with regard to the Beta channel, since I'm not on it, is when week six is for it as I don't know when it was last updated.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

I'll google for it laterk, but if I want to test the dev builds do I just type "edge dev builds" into google and away I go?

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 20 Aug 2019, at 11:38, Governor staten wrote:

This should clear it up. Edge Dev is updated weekly. Edge Beta is updated every six weeks. If you want absolute stability, Edge Beta is the one you want.

Edge Dev is quite stable. Brian's experience mirrors mine. I have pretty much stopped using Firefox.

On 8/20/2019 2:36 PM, Loy wrote:

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah,

The link given by Joseph, in the blog post, has a click through that reads,  now available,
that is the download page for all three channels, so you can take your pick.   I have previously posted the direct download link for the Dev Channel Edge on this very forum several times, which saves a bunch of steps since you don't have to drill down several layers before finally getting the installer download.

I do not have the same for either the Canary or Beta channels.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

David Csercsics

Yes, the edge dev channel is very fast and very accessible. The only missing feature I have found so far is the reader mode that I use in Firefox sometimes on large pages. But I have to congratulate MS for a decent job on this.

Dave Mitchell

Hi,  I missed  that too and wonder if there Is  a Reader function with the Beta?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:22 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io

Yes, the edge dev channel is very fast and very accessible. The only

missing feature I have found so far is the reader mode that I use in

Firefox sometimes on large pages. But I have to congratulate MS for a

decent job on this.

Sarah k Alawami

Righht. I'll look or it later. I'm in the middle of editing a video and podcast for publishing later.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

On 20 Aug 2019, at 12:10, Brian Vogel wrote:

Sarah,

The link given by Joseph, in the blog post, has a click through that reads,  now available,
that is the download page for all three channels, so you can take your pick.   I have previously posted the direct download link for the Dev Channel Edge on this very forum several times, which saves a bunch of steps since you don't have to drill down several layers before finally getting the installer download.

I do not have the same for either the Canary or Beta channels.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 03:27 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
Is  a Reader function with the Beta?
If you mean Reading View, there is, but you can't activate it with CTRL+SHIFT+R (or I can't).

If I use ALT+D to throw focus to the address bar, then tab once I'm on the Reading View button which can be activated in the conventional way.  You deactivate it by visiting again, as it's a toggle.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Dave Mitchell

Hi,  There are likely good reasons for the Reader View access but it would of course be simple and helpful if once learning the Control Shift R keystroke for trouble free reading if this could have also been carried forward.  Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:38 PM

If you mean Reading View, there is, but you can't activate it with CTRL+SHIFT+R (or I can't).

If I use ALT+D to throw focus to the address bar, then tab once I'm on the Reading View button which can be activated in the conventional way.  You deactivate it by visiting again, as it's a toggle.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

David Csercsics

Oh ok, that's new. It didn't used to be in the dev version either, so they must have added that in the recent builds. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for that.

And since they're soliciting input, and the old standard CTRL+SHIFT+R keyboard shortcut isn't toggling reader mode (or isn't for me), please submit feedback to that effect.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

By the way, in the under development builds of Edge, ALT+Shift+I brings up the dedicated feedback hub for this product only.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Amy Gordon

If I download this will it take the place of crome or edge browser
currently on my computer?
Thanks

On 8/20/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
And since they're soliciting input, and the old standard CTRL+SHIFT+R
keyboard shortcut isn't toggling reader mode (or isn't for me), please
submit feedback to that effect.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
~ Lawrence Krauss

Lino Morales

No it won't. The older version of Edge and Google Chrome will still work. Edge beta is a separate download.

On 8/20/2019 4:24 PM, Amy Gordon wrote:
If I download this will it take the place of crome or edge browser
currently on my computer?
Thanks

On 8/20/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
And since they're soliciting input, and the old standard CTRL+SHIFT+R
keyboard shortcut isn't toggling reader mode (or isn't for me), please
submit feedback to that effect.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
~ Lawrence Krauss

Sarah k Alawami

I'm using the canar build for mac and wow it's just awesome, fast and hardley freezes. Methinks I'll make this my default browser. Downloaded the windows canaray vrison for later.

Take care and wow I'm going to have fun

On 20 Aug 2019, at 12:38, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

David Csercsics

Yes, I will do that, too. I had forgotten they had a feedback mode.

Tom K

Hi Joseph, thanks for this, I went out and read all about it, then I downloaded it!  I’m getting ready to take it on a test drive!

Tom K.

Owner of the blind trading post.

To join, send a blank email to,

Blind-TradingPost+subscribe@groups.io

Everyone is welcome!

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:53 PM
Subject: [win10] Chromium Edge: beta is ready for you to try #ChromiumEdge

Hi all,

Here it is; beta version of Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. Details can be found at the following Windows blog post:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/08/20/introducing-microsoft-edge-beta-be-one-of-the-first-to-try-it-now/#hrvxYd5zu4MEMZWV.97

Cheers,

Joseph