Topics

Notice: on some systems, if a screen reader is set to start at logon, it results in that screen reader starting after logging on too #WinTenOld

Hi all,

This was brought to NVDA people’s attention a few days ago:

Suppose NVDA is told to start on secure screens yet told not to do so after logging in. A number of users reported that despite this setting, NVDA starts after a user logs in on Version 1903 (I have managed to reproduce this). A Microsoft engineer verified that this occurs with Narrator in 20H1 Insider Preview builds, which means it is bound to show up in 19H2. My investigation points to Windows Registry/Ease of Access doing odd things.

The workaround is to tell the screen reader not to start on secure screens. This will impact logon screen, User Account Control, and other secure screens.

If you do encounter this, please upvote the following feedback:

https://aka.ms/AA4g3cq

i have even seen this with narrator.
on a clean install of windows if we launch narrator and then exit it.
and then if there is a uac prompt narrator starts after clicking yes on uac.

This was brought to NVDA people's attention a few days ago:

Suppose NVDA is told to start on secure screens yet told not to do so after
logging in. A number of users reported that despite this setting, NVDA
starts after a user logs in on Version 1903 (I have managed to reproduce
this). A Microsoft engineer verified that this occurs with Narrator in 20H1
Insider Preview builds, which means it is bound to show up in 19H2. My
investigation points to Windows Registry/Ease of Access doing odd things.

The workaround is to tell the screen reader not to start on secure screens.
This will impact logon screen, User Account Control, and other secure
screens.

If you do encounter this, please upvote the following feedback:

https://aka.ms/AA4g3cq

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto