Topics

locked Proposal: ban Randy Barnett's email address? #proposal

Hi all,

Normally when this kind of thing comes up, admins act without doing something like this. But the Win10 Forum operates differently: we the leadership team value feedback from members, hence it is important that members do participate in forum governance if possible.

Proposal: should Randy Barnett be banned from Win10 Forum for Screen Reader Users?

Rationale: a while back Randy and several people had a heated discussion where moderators intervened, advising him to reconsider his tone and words. That discussion involved Randy, some members, Brian V, and I. Despite that warning and advice and other attempts to persuade him to think about his tone, Randy posted a message that was seen as insulting the topics manager (Brian). Therefore, it is proposed that Randy Barnett be banned from Win10 forum cluster.

Procedure:

  1. If you have any thoughts, please do discuss them here or with the leadership team.
  2. Normally when a ban proposal is introduced, the individual in question is allowed to make a defense statement. Because the individual in question is no longer with us, there is no defense statement, although it should be noted that the leadership team had a discussion with this person before he left and he did provide a statement regarding moderator conduct.
  3. Please cast your vote by sending an email to win10+owner@win10.groups.io no later than July 19, 2019 at midnight Pacific time. Votes sent to the list will not count. Once the vote closes, this proposal thread and related discussions will be locked.
  4. A simple majority of votes cast will be sufficient.
  5. Normally the decision can be revisited after a year or so, but due to the level at which the misconduct occurred, there will be no going back unless the entire leadership team resigns.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

Hi everyone,

Update: thank you for your votes. At this time I'd like to request that we end this proposal as Randy left on his own. However, given that all of you who have voted said yes to this proposal, Randy's address will be entered into "Hall of Banned Addresses". I won't announce the final tally until tomorrow at the earliest so folks can get a chance to read the updated notice.

Thank you.

Final tally: 12 yes, 0 no.