Topics

For Version 1803: some of you will get a notification that your system will be updated to Version 1903 #windowsupdatestatus

Hi all,

A few days ago Brian V mentioned that updating from 1803 to 1903 is possible, and as of yesterday, Microsoft’s release health dashboard was updated to state that:

We are now beginning to build and train the machine learning (ML) based rollout process to update devices running the April 2018 Update, and earlier versions of Windows 10, to ensure we can continue to service these devices and provide the latest updates, security updates and improvements.

Neowin furthers that Microsoft is indeed on track on their earlier promise to automatically update Version 1803 and earlier to 1903 and beyond:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-beginning-to-auto-update-windows-10-version-1803-to-version-1903

Note: a brand new hashtag (#WindowsUpdateStatus) will be reserved for notices like this.

g melconian

So nothing to fear with an older machine .  That older machines wont get most of the modern features of windos 10.but the features that can run on the older machine along with security updates.so nothing to worry about correct.i am running windows 1903 on an old 4th gen laptop as well as  a 5th gen desktop with SSD  and 16GB of ram.

A few days ago Brian V mentioned that updating from 1803 to 1903 is possible, and as of yesterday, Microsoft’s release health dashboard was updated to state that:

We are now beginning to build and train the machine learning (ML) based rollout process to update devices running the April 2018 Update, and earlier versions of Windows 10, to ensure we can continue to service these devices and provide the latest updates, security updates and improvements.

Neowin furthers that Microsoft is indeed on track on their earlier promise to automatically update Version 1803 and earlier to 1903 and beyond:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-beginning-to-auto-update-windows-10-version-1803-to-version-1903

Note: a brand new hashtag (#WindowsUpdateStatus) will be reserved for notices like this.

Most features in a given feature update will be usable on older hardware (I myself am running 1903 on a 4th gen Intel Core I5); certain things will require newer hardware and/or software, so yes, I’d say you don’t have to worry.

[...]

Mike Capelle <mikecapelle@...>

What features may or may not work on my 3rd gen processor?

[...]

I do realize that what I’m about to describe is very technical, so apologies up front:

Mostly hardware features and workarounds introduced in Haswell (4th generation) and newer won’t work, or if they do, there will be tweaks to support old ways of doing things. Most of them have to do with certain power management and hardware-based security features, especially when using Skylake (6th) generation and newer Core processors.

In regards to how operating systems can utilize hardware features, it mostly comes down to coordination between OS vendor and hardware manufacturers in the form of hardware specs, development kit, and device drivers. Hardware specs can be defined by either the OS vendor (Microsoft) or hardware makers (Intel, AMD, etc.). Once defined, a corresponding development kit will be released by either Microsoft, hardware vendor, or both. Then the hardware maker will release a device driver for their hardware that allows communication between the hardware and the operating system. This device driver, which is typically included with the operating system (in this case, any Windows 10 feature update) will let hardware become aware of OS features, and the operating system can be told certain things about the hardware in question that allows it to bring that feature to life.

For example, on more recent Intel Core processors, the hardware can change its clock speed faster than before (Turbo Boost) on its own. Previously, Windows was involved with this to some degree, but Intel’s device driver for their CPU’s can ask Windows to step aside when it comes to managing clock speeds. On the AMD side, it wasn’t until Version 1903 that Windows can recognize some subtle things about recent AMD Ryzen CPU’s – this involved changes to both Windows and the device driver for AMD processors.

[...]

No, older units will get the latest features if they can run them.

But drivers, from the manufacturer sites will not come.

Of course it depends how old, in my experience, the older it is the better it generally can run on thirdparty stuff.

Generally though drivers seem to only be updated when needed but you should still be getting the latest updates for windows at any rate.

On 20/06/2019 7:39 AM, g melconian wrote:

[...]

Curtis Delzer

I wonder what those "certain" things are? any ideas there and are those "certain things," worth looking forward too by people who require access solutions?

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...
On 6/19/2019 12:46 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

These include certain parts of Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) and other virtualization technologies included in newer hardware releases. VBS is used to provide an additional layer of system-level security that isn’t visible for the most part. Although older hardware can use virtualization technologies, recent hardware have hardware-level optimizations that Windows 10 can take advantage of. Also, at least one feature under active development will require hardware-based virtualization to be in use: Windows Subsystem for Linux second generation, which is vastly different than what we have now and will require virtualization in order for it to work properly (I found that out the hard way last week while testing WSL2 on an Insider Preview).

In terms of compatibility with assistive tech, my biggest concern is JAWS hardware locking code issue – it has been reported and confirmed numerous times that when certain settings do change or a new feature update is installed, JAWS may recognize the same hardware you’ve got as a different machine. Another concern is activation issues with some NVDA speech synthesizer add-ons.

[...]

I wouldn’t worry about it, if your computer can or has been running Windows 10 it’s fine.

[...]

Joseph,
Most features in a given feature update will be usable on older hardware (I myself am running 1903 on a 4th gen Intel Core I5); certain things will require newer hardware and/or software, so yes, I'd say you don't have to worry.
Well, I'm using the same as you, at least I believe I am.
I didn't know it was an older hardware.
Regarding the next updates, not specifically 1903, while it's not 100% possible to answer my question and I know it, do you think we'll be disadvantaged because of our hardware? I mean, won't we benefit from a new feature because of it?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

No unless Microsoft and/or vendors notify users that a certain feature or two will require newer hardware in order for them to work. In fact, it can affect feature updates themselves – devices that include Intel Atom Z2000 processors are stuck in Version 1607 due to driver availability and other factors.

The biggest difference perhaps is processor architecture support and its consequences. Features such as Windows Subsystem for Linux isn’t available for 32-bit x86 systems because they lack CPU instructions that allows WSL to work. Similarly, in order to support running x86 32-bit apps on 64-bit ARM processors, an emulation layer is needed.

Most features in a given feature update will be usable on older hardware (I myself am running 1903 on a 4th gen Intel Core I5); certain things will require newer hardware and/or software, so yes, I'd say you don't have to worry.

Well, I'm using the same as you, at least I believe I am.

I didn't know it was an older hardware.
Regarding the next updates, not specifically 1903, while it's not 100% possible to answer my question and I know it, do you think we'll be disadvantaged because of our hardware? I mean, won't we benefit from a new feature because of it?

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I also full well expect, as Windows 10 continues to march on, that there will be plenty of machines that reach a "terminal version" past which they cannot and will not receive any additional Feature Updates.

This should not be a surprise to anyone.  Operating systems are constantly being rewritten to exploit new hardware features, some of which may not even have existed when their earlier versions were created.  If the OS depends on the presence of those features to work, then it can't run on a system without them.

I've got a laptop that will not update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because it's recognized by the Win10 upgrade installer that it has a chipset that does not have support under Windows 10.   Computers, like all electronic and electromechanical devices, have finite service lives.  None lives forever and obsolescence comes very quickly in the computing world relative to many other spheres.  I'm constantly amazed when I hear people saying something like, "I bought this in 2009 and it's no longer being supported?!!"   Ten years ago is several lifetimes ago in computer technology, so if it's still supported you are indeed lucky, and it's surprising to me how much old hardware still runs Windows 10 without issue.

     The specialist knows more and more about less and less and finally knows everything about nothing.

             ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)