Topics

Upgrade advisory: USB drives and SD card problem, minimum storage requirements changed #ADVISORY #WinTenOld

Hi all,

Before I get into the “meat” of the problem (trusting sources, misinformation, etc.), here’s the official advisory from this forum cluster:

Advisory 1: drive letter reassignment possible for some users if a USB drive or an SD card is inserted while performing an in-place upgrade to Version 1903

Problem: when performing a feature update to 1903, if a USB drive or an SD card is inserted, Windows Setup may reassign drive letters for some systems.

Workaround: resolved in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18877 (20H1), which will be backported as a cumulative update to Version 1903. If a KB alert with this fix doesn’t show up and you’re offered Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903, then remove any USB flash drive(s) and/or SD card(s). Or better yet, do not activate Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update/Check for updates button until this is resolved.

Details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignment

Advisory 2: minimum storage requirement changed

Problem: until now minimum storage requirement was 16 GB for 32-bit, 20 GB for 64-bit. Various websites (including Neowin) are reporting that the minimum storage requirement is now 32 GB for both.

Possible cause: reserved storage.

Workaround: I recommend freeing up at least 40 GB so upgrade installations can be done smoothly.

An important note: this has nothing to do with any assistive technology (I’ll address the “blindness” and “screen readers” comment in an upcoming admin notice).

Cheers,

joseph

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I run a Windows 10 tablet with Windows 10 home 32-bit and it has a 32 gig storage with a 128 gig micro SD card inserted. Does this mean that my storage requirements are too low and I will not be able to upgrade?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 11:54 Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,
As for how it’ll present itself in reality, we shall see.

Cheers,
joseph

[...]

Roger Stewart

Thanks for clearing this up! I never force a feature update anyhow so guess it will be nothing to worry about by the time it rolls out to me.
Roger