Topics

Upgrade advisory: USB drives and SD card problem, minimum storage requirements changed #ADVISORY #WinTenOld

Hi all,

Before I get into the “meat” of the problem (trusting sources, misinformation, etc.), here’s the official advisory from this forum cluster:

Advisory 1: drive letter reassignment possible for some users if a USB drive or an SD card is inserted while performing an in-place upgrade to Version 1903

Problem: when performing a feature update to 1903, if a USB drive or an SD card is inserted, Windows Setup may reassign drive letters for some systems.

Workaround: resolved in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18877 (20H1), which will be backported as a cumulative update to Version 1903. If a KB alert with this fix doesn’t show up and you’re offered Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903, then remove any USB flash drive(s) and/or SD card(s). Or better yet, do not activate Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update/Check for updates button until this is resolved.

Details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignment

Advisory 2: minimum storage requirement changed

Problem: until now minimum storage requirement was 16 GB for 32-bit, 20 GB for 64-bit. Various websites (including Neowin) are reporting that the minimum storage requirement is now 32 GB for both.

Possible cause: reserved storage.

Workaround: I recommend freeing up at least 40 GB so upgrade installations can be done smoothly.

An important note: this has nothing to do with any assistive technology (I’ll address the “blindness” and “screen readers” comment in an upcoming admin notice).

Cheers,

joseph

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I run a Windows 10 tablet with Windows 10 home 32-bit and it has a 32 gig storage with a 128 gig micro SD card inserted. Does this mean that my storage requirements are too low and I will not be able to upgrade?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 11:54 Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Before I get into the “meat” of the problem (trusting sources, misinformation, etc.), here’s the official advisory from this forum cluster:

Advisory 1: drive letter reassignment possible for some users if a USB drive or an SD card is inserted while performing an in-place upgrade to Version 1903

Problem: when performing a feature update to 1903, if a USB drive or an SD card is inserted, Windows Setup may reassign drive letters for some systems.

Workaround: resolved in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18877 (20H1), which will be backported as a cumulative update to Version 1903. If a KB alert with this fix doesn’t show up and you’re offered Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903, then remove any USB flash drive(s) and/or SD card(s). Or better yet, do not activate Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update/Check for updates button until this is resolved.

Details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignment

Problem: until now minimum storage requirement was 16 GB for 32-bit, 20 GB for 64-bit. Various websites (including Neowin) are reporting that the minimum storage requirement is now 32 GB for both.

Workaround: I recommend freeing up at least 40 GB so upgrade installations can be done smoothly.

An important note: this has nothing to do with any assistive technology (I’ll address the “blindness” and “screen readers” comment in an upcoming admin notice).

Cheers,

joseph

Hi,
As for how it’ll present itself in reality, we shall see.

Cheers,
joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2019 8:58 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Cc: win10@groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Upgrade advisory: USB drives and SD card problem, minimum storage requirements changed #WinTen1903 #ADVISOR

I run a Windows 10 tablet with Windows 10 home 32-bit and it has a 32 gig storage with a 128 gig micro SD card inserted. Does this mean that my storage requirements are too low and I will not be able to upgrade?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 11:54 Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Details:

Cheers,

joseph

Roger Stewart

Thanks for clearing this up! I never force a feature update anyhow so guess it will be nothing to worry about by the time it rolls out to me.
Roger

On 4/26/2019 10:54 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Details:

Cheers,

joseph