Topics

For JAWS users: JAWS announces 'Microsoft Candidate UI" if hardware keyboard input suggestions is turned on while typing text #jaws #ADVISORY

Hi all,

There was a post on another mailing list that stated Fusion 2019 kept announcing “Microsoft Candidate UI” while typing text. The person who posted the message said Microsoft determined that it was Fusion 2019, but ultimately it was traced to hardware keyboard input suggestion feature (introduced in Version 1803) and its redesign in Windows 10 Version 1809 and beyond. Further, the original poster noted that this problem does not occur with NVDA.

Thus the following advisory:

If JAWS (or Fusion) says “Microsoft Candidate UI” while typing text, check if hardware keyboard input suggestions is turned on. To check:

  1. Open Settings (Windows+I)/Devices/Typing.
  2. Navigate through the page and see if “Show text suggestions as I type” option (not the software keyboard one) is turned on, and if so, turn it off.

Technical: Microsoft Candidate UI pops up whenever you type text and if suggestions are available. This is the same window that presents dictation UI (Windows+H), with the mother of all this being modern keyboard, the same executable responsible for emoji panel, cloud clipboard and other things.

When the candidate UI window appears, modern keyboard raises (fires) a window open UIA event. JAWS will interpret this as a window open event, thus announcing “Microsoft Candidate UI”. For hardware keyboard suggestions, that is incorrect behavior – screen readers such as NVDA and Narrator does announce suggestions, which is located inside a list, which in turn is housed inside the candidate window (in terms of NVDA implementation, I know this will sound repetitive, but I am the one who wrote support for modern keyboard; hardware keyboard input suggestions made its debut for NVDA users in November 2017, with improvements showing up afterwards).

The correct solution is for Vispero to improve support for hardware keyboard input suggestions by replacing announcement of “Microsoft Candidate UI” with top suggestion.

Doug Oliver <doliver3583@...>

Is this option in the system category of the settings window?

I’m hunting for it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Mike B

Hi Doug,

Open Settings with, Windows key + I, and tab 1 time to System, now right arrow to, Devices and press enter.
Tab 1 time into the list and down arrow to, Typing, and press enter.
Now tab through the options.

Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 11:58 AM

[...]

Don Risavy, Jr.

This worked great and fixed my problem that happened before and didn’t think to check on any list until today to see if there was a fix for the problem as it’s so annoying, frustrating and aggravating as each time went to type something didn’t matter if was an email or on the web in a web browser that Microsoft candidate ui popped up and caused the problem of the text  to be interfered with and or interrupted and caused it to close the edit box typing in too.

So glad there was a solution so didn’t have to reset or restore my windows 10 computer.

Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 11:58 AM

[...]

matthew dyer

Joseph, I have forward your message to vispero support for there record so we will see if anything gets done with that.

Matthew