Topics

Windows 10 development briefing for December 2018: Narrator, Task Manager, Cortana, Windows Sandbox and more #wintendev

Hi everyone,

For family members who’ve subscribed in the past few weeks: I believe that one advantage of having a Windows Insider lead this forum is plenty of opportunities to share what’s coming up in the future. But not all events we see on the “crystal ball” (Windows Insider Program) are very clear, but there are some that are definitively coming to a Windows 10 system near you in the not so distant future. Thus, it is with great honor to tell you (via development briefings like the one below) things we should be preparing ourselves for.

In short: you should not be left in the dark as to what’s going on, hence the briefings. Note that most of the instructions we give here are based on Version 1809/build 17763  (latest stable version out there).

Windows 10 19H1 development briefing for December 2018

Based on Windows Insider Preview build 18305 (December 19, 2018)

Preface: I mentioned in the November 2018 briefing that some features noted then were part of build 18282. It was later discovered that I didn’t include some major features from that build, so apologies about that.

Windows Shell:

  • System-wide light theme has been improved.
  • More fluent design changes for Start menu.
  • It is possible to quickly unpin apps and folders.
  • A new Start menu design for new accounts, specifically one column for apps and tiles.
  • My People is being deprecated (needs confirmation).
  • When apps are using a microphone, a list of them will show up in notification area.

Cortana:

  • Integration with Microsoft To-Do to track to-do items.

File Explorer:

  • Data in downloads folder will be sorted based on when they were downloaded (reverse chronological order).
  • Last modified timestamp will be shown in more friendly terms (“x days ago” instead of a concrete date).

Modern input features:

  • New look for cloud clipboard and emoji panel.
  • Emoji panel can now be used to search for kaomoji and additional symbols (see the tutorial sent not long ago for details).
  • Dictation entry (Windows+H) window has been extended to ten seconds.

Settings:

  • Ability to synchronize system clock with a known time server (Settings/Time and Language/Date and Time).
  • Pause updates right from Windows Update (Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update).
  • Ability to use a security key hardware and/or a linked phone number in Microsoft Account for sign in purposes.
  • Changed the tab order of sign-in options (Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options), with sign in methods before wakeup password prompt combo box.

Windows Sandbox:

  • Ability to use apps inside an isolated container (Pro and Enterprise 64-bit, requires hardware and firmware support). This technology uses Hyper-V and Windows Containers technologies. Keyboard commands are based on Hyper-V. At the moment only desktop apps can be sandboxed.

Narrator:

  • Use next or previous text navigation commands to review an entire window.
  • Added an option to hear additional information about controls.
  • A series of checkboxes has been added to control which keys will be announced (or not) while using keyboards.
  • Added Narrator Home to serve as a one-stop window for Narrator features.
  • Ability to completely minimize Narrator window (this means Narrator window won’t show up when using Alt+Tab command; when minimized, Narrator button will be shown in notification area).

These are the major changes, with many minor changes, fixes, and bugs to be ironed out. The next development briefing will be sent toward end of January 2019.

One important thing I forgot to add:

Task Manager:

  • You can now set default tab to be opened (if “more details” is turned on).

[...]

Why am I keep forgetting some important stuff… This is not new with me:

Notepad:

  • UTF-8 encoding will be used when saving files.
  • An asterisk (*) will be shown as part of the title bar when content has been edited but not saved.

[...]

Delma <df0767@...>

how does one get cortana, i am new to windows 10, i looked through the programs, but didnt see cortana listed, also how can i copy progroms to the desk top so i can find them easier please
thanks Delma

[...]

Cortana is already part of your Windows 10. I don’t believe you could uninstall it if you wanted to.

[...]

can you please tell me, how to get to it, as i cant find it please?

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:38 PM