Topics

Version 1809 advisory: Known Folder Redirection (KFR) likely to blame for data loss issue, Microsoft publishes updated version to Windows Insiders #ADVISORY #WinTenOld

Hi all,

Normally I do not publish Windows Insiders information on this parent forum, but given the severity of data loss as a result of upgrading to Version 1809, I’m bypassing Insiders subgroup for this one:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/#DcleqpqPxGT7iGDd.97

As you can see from the blog post above, KFR (known folder redirection) might be to blame. During upgrades, user folders will be checked, and if you’ve got something located in places other than your default user path, Windows Setup may ignore your preference and proceed to delete what you have on the former user folder path (if I understand this correctly). Once this problem is resolved and validated by Insiders, it’ll be released to early adopters soon.

Also, on a somewhat related note: the state of the list notice was planned for this Thursday, but I’ll defer this to a future date in October so we can help each other regarding upgrade issues and what not.

AAh so that explains it.

Well in my case it wouldn't matter.

I did redirect my folders for pictures music and documents to the d drive, before the last reformat earlier this year.

If these were deleted it wouldn't matter as I no longer use those locations.

However if I had redirected it all back then that would be a problem.

Its good they have sorted out what the issue was and fixed their feadback, None of us use onedrive most of use use google drive and dropbox but not onedrive though we are signed into it all.

Lets hope that we can progress normally and that there are no more issues like this.

On 10/10/2018 10:40 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Well its fine if it was the path where your stuff was, for me thats the c drive.

I have moved everything to the d drive.

But if you moved it back then you would have a problem.

It is a problem if you have only 1 drive, in fact I have empty folders on my c drive so I must be effected but that never mattered as I had everything on another drive.