Topics

Say hello to Windows 10 Version 1809, build 17763 #AdminNotice #branchprogression #WinTenOld

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Windows 10 Version 1809! At the Microsoft Surface event today, Microsoft announced immediate release of Windows 10 Version 1809 (October 2018 Update), with the stable build being 17763.

Few things for this forum cluster:

  • No release preview for build 17763: the stable build (17763) didn’t go out to release preview Insiders as hoped, so today’s release could serve as that, hence the branch progression hashtag.
  • As noted many times, for over 90 percent of you, do NOT mark your calendar and install Version 1809 today; please wait until Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1809 shows up on Windows Update.
  • The entire Win10 forum cluster will enter Version 1809 era effective midnight Pacific time tonight. This means, from that time onwards, instructions and materials will be based on features and commands included in October 2018 Update.
  • For Windows Insiders subgroup, we’ll enter 19H1 era, effective immediately.
  • Cumulative update countdown for Version 1803 will begin on October 9, 2018. Sixty days later, on December 11, 2018, regular KB alert announcements for Version 1803 will cease on this forum cluster.

Enjoy.

Don H

My laptop has already downloaded the 1809 update.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 05:20 PM, Don H wrote:
My laptop has already downloaded the 1809 update.
Then please start a new topic, which I hope will be unnecessary, if you encounter issues with the new Version that you had not been having previously.

There's generally someone here who ends up in one of the first update cohorts, and it appears that you're it this time!

             ~ Brian Vogel

I can confirm that my 4th generation workstation and my aunt's 7th gen laptop are recieving the update right now.

Good to see this coming now.

I usually wouldn't be concerned but I am due to go away later this month for a couple weeks and if it came in the middle it could be disruptive.

On 10/3/2018 10:11 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Timothy

Also  for those that have not received the update and don't wish to until Microsoft deems it ready for your configuration, do not manually check for updates. For some reason that will start the feature update's download process which may be discomfiting for some.

Timothy

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Not yet for me, but my system is a custom built one so looks like I migh be last. Oh well. I hoep the update is a good one.

On 2 Oct 2018, at 14:19, Don H wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

I haven't gotten the update yet either. It must have come out today.

[...]

Those who wish to avoid getting it in very short order should definitely follow Timothy's sage advice and do not go into Settings, Update & Security, and do a Check for Updates.

I can attest, again, that doing so during the first week or two after release seems to be interpreted by Windows Update to mean, "I must have the next feature update, NOW!!"

             ~ Brian Vogel

Well I just checked for updates and pulled the update.

Before I get started with my brief summery of my loves and hates, the following updates are out.

adobe acrobat 2019, there is also a font and spelling dictionaries pack from them to.

You need to remove the old packs from add remove before you install the new ones.

the new packs are at ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/misc

Download the fontpack 19 and the adobe sd 19 numbered files.

Easy enough to install.

A reminder when running adobe reader after your fresh windows 10 update.

Adobe reader will repair itself, and may need a restart then run and update as normal.

You should reinstall your klite mega codec and set your associations back to where they are that means install the full installer then the update again say yes to overriding the pack and no to anything wrong.

Please check store after you update as there will be some apps to update.

And now on to the meat.

Windows 10 is a lot faster, and seems to keep all my settings.

Background apps that are newer for this version need to be turned off ofcause, autoplay needs resetting ofcourse.

On my win pro unit I had to turn on windows system restore on my home unit I didn't.

I had to remove sound and other drivers from startup to.

I have not tried using file explorer extensively but it seems to work fine.

Blank folders are not displayed as blank folders so you have to tab round a bit to see if they are but thats fine.

If you use itunes, you need to agree to licences again,  but thats fine.

Issues.

It appears that films and tv is set for videos interestingly my choice for audio files was kept on both systems.

Next, note that I am not sure about the next few.

In optional features, and storage sence there are either no progress bars when storage sence or in fact optional features are running or they don't read.

Its not a show stopper but it would be nice is all.

Disk cleanup is faster and can clear your downloads folder and a few other things like language resource files.

Most everything from lang packs, etc in optional are kept.

All associations are kept.

One thing windows doesn't check if you have enough space to install it just does it.

I assume this is to make it easier to load in those units with recovery partitions, previously I had to reformat a system and load windows manually because it couldn't fit on the drive due to a boot partition being full but it worked this time.

Download took for ever and so did install.