Topics

Critical period vote follow-up: retain, reform, or retire? #proposal

Hi all,

The below serves as a follow-up to a survey about critical periods conducted a few months ago:

Until now every feature update release was accompanied by a critical period on this forum cluster where topics other than update advisories, last minute notices and impressions were suspended for up to 72 hours. The purpose of critical period is to let folks stay up to date on latest happenings and things to be aware of as they meet new feature updates.

A few months ago, this forum cluster held a list-wide vote to determine whether critical periods should continue. Proponents said it allows folks to concentrate on preparing their computers for the feature update by staying alert. Opponents said this doesn’t serve the intended purpose anymore as folks can prepare ahead of time and changes happened since it was first implemented in 2016. The proposal to keep critical periods was passed by a narrow margin, which was interpreted to mean that this concept will be in place for the time being until we get more feedback in this follow-up survey.

Thus the follow-up:

For those who have voted in the original proposal on critical periods: you don’t have to participate in this follow-up study again, as I remember what you said in the vote. You’re more than welcome to add additional details and comments if you wish.

For those who didn’t vote on critical period: do you think this concept should be kept or retired?

My view on this concept: although I feel critical period is still important, I’m leaning towards reforming it to make it less obtrusive. The biggest change I’d like to propose is not suspending topics during critical standby period (first 72 hours after release of a feature update), along with changing admin notices tied to that concept to say that traffic regarding update issues and advisories may increase during those times, and that folks are encouraged to stay alert regarding last minute advisories from screen reader developers. Although the admin notice might not say we’re in critical standby period, the activity around it (the only activity from this reformed concept being a notice regarding traffic and what not once feature updates hit the air) will indicate how important it is to stay alert in the first days of feature update deployment. What do you think?

You are more than welcome to comment here, or if you have something to say to the head list representative privately, please send an email to win10+owner@win10.groups.io. This follow-up survey will close no later than July 15, 2018 so we can gather feedback from many people. Changes based on your feedback will be implemented starting with Redstone 5.

Thank you.

Dennis L

I agree that most the advisory should be put out to keep watch.  I agree that other topics and traffic shouldn’t be stopped.  This is a good way to go.  Great job Joseph.  Thanks for all you do!

[...]

Devin Prater

I like this “reformed” idea as well.

On Jun 27, 2018, at 10:14 PM, Dennis L <dennisl1982@...> wrote:

[...]

Blaster

That's a well thought out and reasonable solution. Thanks for keeping
us in the loop.

win10+owner@win10.groups.io <mailto:win10+owner@win10.groups.io>. This
follow-up survey will close no later than July 15, 2018 so we can gather
feedback from many people. Changes based on your feedback will be
implemented starting with Redstone 5.

Thank you.

brandon T <brandongold98@...>

Hi,

What kind of preparations are necessary? I was confused when you
mentioned preparing our computers ahead of time.

Thanks,

Brandon

On 6/28/18, Blaster <@Blaster> wrote:
[...]

“Be what you are. This is the first step towards becoming better than you are.”
– J. C. Hare & A. W. Hare

kamaal akhtar

i agree with your suggestion joseph my vote is for reform

[...]

win10+This
follow-up survey will close no later than July 15, 2018 so we can
gather feedback from many people. Changes based on your feedback
will be implemented starting with Redstone 5.

Thank you.

“Be what you are. This is the first step towards becoming better than you are.”
– J. C. Hare & A. W. Hare

In my opinion, Critical Period is a desirable concept.

Humberto

[...]

Standard things prior to operating system upgrades: data backup, updating drivers, and for feature updates, making sure screen readers are compatible.

[...]

My opinion about this is that I don't see why list traffic has to be
completely stopped for a few days.

If someone has another question, I feel that they should be able to
post that, unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is entirely
possible.

Thanks,

Brandon

Hi,