Topics

win10 classic applications for administration (system activation)

David Mehler

Hello,

I know this is win10, the machine is running a new install of 1803. I
am running the latest NVDA so that's why i'm sending this to you,
apologize to those who are on both lists, but I need some help.

Is there a way to get the classic win7 applications back for
administration tasks? I can still go to control panel, find what I
want, hit it, and it brings me in to settings.

I am not a fan of settings, I like it in and of the fact that it
unifies applications, but interacting with some controls really needs
accessibility work, UIA or what it is called.

Here's my problem, fresh install of a machine running 1803 needs
activated. I've got the key, that I didn't have during the install, so
I've gone to settings and tried an activation and have tried through
control panel, which brought me back to the same place.

In both cases NVDA would not read anything on the screen, I have to
enter my product key then go for an online activation. In 7 this went
flawlessly, in 10 I can't even get the key in, let alone activate.

How does one do this?

Thanks.
Dave.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 02:40 pm, David Mehler wrote:
fresh install of a machine running 1803 needs
activated.
Dave,

           I've already answered on the NVDA forum, here:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/41291 as well as noting that the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on does not change your situation.

           What hit me here upon re-reading was the phrase "fresh install."   The only two times you will need to activate Windows 10 are:

1.  If you are installing on a machine that has never had Windows 10 installed on it previously  (Whether it had something like Linux, or Windows 7 [and was never upgraded before the end of the free upgrade period], etc.)

2.  If you are trying to change the edition on your machine, e.g., going from Home to Pro.  And even then you do not need to reinstall Windows 10 to do that, you can just go to the Change product key link in Settings, Update & Security, Activation pane then activate it and follow the instructions.   Installations of Windows 10 have all the components for all the editions already on the machine, but the license key used is what decides what components get activated and, thus, what edition of Windows 10 will be running.

If you are doing a completely fresh installation of Windows 10 on any machine on which it was installed previously it will automatically activate with no intervention from you.  You would only need to visit the Activation pane if situation two above applies.

     Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks. Actually this machine is a fresh install, it had some hardware
changes, it's last hard drive died, and it's got a new motherboard.
The processor, ram and power supply are the same, oh the graphics card
is new. The machine is saying it is unactivated.

Thanks.
Dave.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

     *Puritanism:* The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

          ~ H.L. Mencken , AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Dave,

         Be aware that a motherboard change on a machine that did previously have Windows 10 installed on it will qualify for "an exception" to needing to purchase a new product key.  You could almost certainly contact the Microsoft Accessibility Help Desk about how one gets that exception for the hardware in question.

     Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Sounds like you are using NVDA, have you tried it with Narrator? I know for siure it works fine with Jaws since I recently purchased two Windows 10 Pro DVD's and entered the product keys without any issues.
I rece