Topics

W10 shutdown sound

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

I followed the below MS instructions for obtaining a shutdown sound by changing the registry value to “0” but the option, “System Exit” does not appear in the list of sound options.

After a couple of reboots, the registry value is still set to zero so thatI know the change is permanent but still no “System Exit” option is shown.  However,  there is a “Windows Exit” option which has been assigned  a sound but this does not give a shutdown sound either.  I can’t remember if the “Exit Windows” option  was available prior to the registry modification.

In the registry, there is a “Windows Log Off” option given so am wondering if this would be worth modifying in order to obtain a sound when the system shuts down.

Has anyone been able to obtain a shutdown sound?

Thanks, Tom.

Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Shutdown sound is available in Windows 10 and was available in Windows 8. Just the feature is hidden and we will help you out.

Firstly we have to enable the feature from registry.

Press Windows + R, Type regedit.

On UAC screen, Press Yes.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels.

Here you will be able to see a list of sound events.

Scroll down and click on System exit.

To the right pane, locate the key ExludeFromCPL and double click on it and change its value to 0 and click OK.

Now come to your Desktop screen closing the registry editor and right click the Sound icon on the Taskbar and select Sounds.

Under program events you will be able to see the System exit option.

Choose the event and change the sound from sounds drop down box.

In this way you will be able to change the shutdown sound in Windows 10.

Disclaimer: These methods contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756

Refer (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows)

(

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Back up the registry

Windows 10

You can back up the registry by

creating a System Restore Point

, or you can back it up manually:

From the Start menu, in the search box, type regedit.exe, and then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Registry Editor, locate and click the registry key or subkey that you want to back up.

Click File > Export.

In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name field.

Click Save.

.

Restore the registry

Use the restore feature or the import feature in Reg Edit.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

There is no way I was able to get a shutdown sound using most of the published solutions that worked under Windows 8.1, of which this registry hack is one.

I was trying to do a workaround using a utility called Wizmo and I guess I should get back to working on that.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

It surprises me that a fix that Microsoft releases, the authors of W10, doesn’t work but that seems to be the case.

I suppose a macro could be written, if all else fails, to play a sound as it runs the shut down sequence but this would not be as good as a Win shutdown sound.

Tom

There is no way I was able to get a shutdown sound using most of the published solutions that worked under Windows 8.1, of which this registry hack is one.

I was trying to do a workaround using a utility called Wizmo and I guess I should get back to working on that.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

sampath raj rao

Hi, wont there be any possibility for this issue be resolved in the
win 10 builds being released periodically by MS techies?
Or it's something to do as settings from user side?

On 6/19/16, Tom <tomcat509@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sampath,

        There's always the possibility that this may be fixed, but since it's been absent as an actual default feature since Windows 8 I won't be holding my breath.

         I have reported this as an issue through the Windows 10 Feedback app, and would encourage others to do so as well if you'd like to see a feature added to (or restored to) Windows 10.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

sampath raj rao

Oh! fine if it would be restored as we would know whether the system
is shutting down or not...
Thank you Brian...

Sampath,

        There's always the possibility that this may be fixed, but since
it's been absent as an actual default feature since Windows 8 I won't be
holding my breath.

         I have reported this as an issue through the Windows 10 Feedback
app, and would encourage others to do so as well if you'd like to see a
feature added to (or restored to) Windows 10.
--
Brian
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right
place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Well even when I did this on an experimental computer, while yes it did appear it never worked.

On 19/06/2016 4:02 p.m., Tom wrote:
Hi,

It surprises me that a fix that Microsoft releases, the authors of W10, doesn’t work but that seems to be the case.

I suppose a macro could be written, if all else fails, to play a sound as it runs the shut down sequence but this would not be as good as a Win shutdown sound.

Tom

There is no way I was able to get a shutdown sound using most of the published solutions that worked under Windows 8.1, of which this registry hack is one.

I was trying to do a workaround using a utility called Wizmo and I guess I should get back to working on that.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Hello All,

          I kept at this well past when this all started in June, but still have to report that I have found no native way to force Windows 10 to play a shutdown sound.  That being said, someone on bleepingcomputer.com has proposed a fairly straightforward work-around in the form of creating a three-line batch script that you create a shortcut for, and invoke that to shut down your computer rather than using the Power button on the start menu.  The original post on bleepingcomputer.com can be found here.   I am also copying the text directly below:

A little late perhaps for this topic, but I too like a shutdown sound when exiting windows.  I have managed (with this topic and a little other help) to make a batch file that will play a wav. file, then pause for a set number of seconds (depends on what your music etc, is) and then shutdown.

start elvis.wav

timeout /T 4
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

My wav. file is 'elvis has left the buiding' with a 4 second timeout otherwise the shutdown is too quick.  You may have to specify the wav. file location but I didn't, it is just in 'my documents'.

Having saved the batch file you then create a new desktop shortcut for it which requires a double click and shutdown occurs.

Hope this helps.

If you really want to have a shutdown sound played, followed shortly afterward by the system shutdown process, this is your best bet at the moment.  You would create your batch file using Notepad and you save it with a .bat extension, not a .txt extension.  Once you've done that, you cannot edit the file simply by double-clicking on it/activating it as this will run the file and shut down your computer.  If you need to tweak it after you have it saved as a .bat file gain focus on the .bat then use either the Applications/Menu key or Shift+F10 to bring up the context menu and choose "Edit" from the options that show up.  This opens it again in notepad for tweaking.
--
Brian

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Roger Stewart

This is a strange one here. My desktop still plays the same Win shutdown sound it did when it was Win 7 but my laptop refuses to play anything even though play win shutdown sound is checked.

Roger