Topics

Important: European GDPR is in effect, notice from Groups.IO to be sent out to people subsctibed to forums #groupsio

Hi everyone,

Yes, I’m going through your comments regarding my conduct (keep them coming).

The following notice applies to you if you live in a European Union country (a special case for United Kingdom):

As of today, GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is in effect. As a result, Groups.IO is in the process of changing aspects of the site (including info about data privacy), most visible when you create a new account. Also, soon, you’ll get a notice from the list provider regarding privacy policy and other legal stuff related to GDPR.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

g melconian

Thanks joseph, for bringing  it  to our attentions.this what I like about you .you bring  important info that  can impact our lives. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 3:27 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Important: European GDPR is in effect, notice from Groups.IO to be sent out to people subsctibed to forums #GroupsIO

Hi everyone,

The following notice applies to you if you live in a European Union country (a special case for United Kingdom):

As of today, GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is in effect. As a result, Groups.IO is in the process of changing aspects of the site (including info about data privacy), most visible when you create a new account. Also, soon, you’ll get a notice from the list provider regarding privacy policy and other legal stuff related to GDPR.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

g melconian

Thanks for getting the info to us Joesephe.you are doing a good job .having interacted with you a few times off list for  different situations .   keep up the good job. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Subject: [win10] Important: European GDPR is in effect, notice from Groups.IO to be sent out to people subsctibed to forums #GroupsIO

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jim Rawls

Joseph, your leadership is the best. Stay with us. We need you. Jim

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [win10] Important: European GDPR is in effect, notice from Groups.IO to be
sent out to people subsctibed to forums #GroupsIO

Hi everyone,

Yes, I'm going through your comments regarding my conduct (keep them coming).

The following notice applies to you if you live in a European Union country (a
special case for United Kingdom):

As of today, GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is in effect. As a result,
Groups.IO is in the process of changing aspects of the site (including info about
data privacy), most visible when you create a new account. Also, soon, you'll get a
notice from the list provider regarding privacy policy and other legal stuff
related to GDPR.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

john poole

Joseph,

Pick yourself up and dust yourself down, and please please continue with the excellent job you are doing! 

Best Regards,
John.  

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 11:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Abdul Hai <ahai11london@...>

By law it should have happened by yesterday.

On Saturday, 26 May 2018, 15:52:45 GMT+1, john poole via Groups.Io <poolej1@...> wrote:

Joseph,

Pick yourself up and dust yourself down, and please please continue with the excellent job you are doing! 

Best Regards,
John.  

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 11:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:19 pm, Abdul Hai wrote:
As is so often the case, if you issue a law with insufficient time to implement it this sort of thing happens.

The owner of Groups.io, who's a great guy, mentioned that he got "a dump from his lawyers" on May 25th.  See the post itself here:       
                                       https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/17197

It is highly likely that a huge number of companies whose primary base of operations is not in the EU will not come anywhere near to making the May 25 deadline even if they have the best of intentions about making changes to comply with the law.

It seems that both software development managers and lawmakers both have a tendency to set arbitrary deadlines that can never be met, but the actual guys and gals in the trenches are still supposed to kill themselves trying to achieve something they know is unachievable in the time given.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

I am no fan of the EU. I voted to leave but this law has been coming for ages.

On Saturday, 26 May 2018, 20:25:48 GMT+1, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:19 pm, Abdul Hai wrote:
As is so often the case, if you issue a law with insufficient time to implement it this sort of thing happens.

The owner of Groups.io, who's a great guy, mentioned that he got "a dump from his lawyers" on May 25th.  See the post itself here:       
                                       https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/17197

It is highly likely that a huge number of companies whose primary base of operations is not in the EU will not come anywhere near to making the May 25 deadline even if they have the best of intentions about making changes to comply with the law.

It seems that both software development managers and lawmakers both have a tendency to set arbitrary deadlines that can never be met, but the actual guys and gals in the trenches are still supposed to kill themselves trying to achieve something they know is unachievable in the time given.

--

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:32 pm, Abdul Hai wrote:
but this law has been coming for ages.
And really wasn't on the radar screen of quite a few entities, particularly small ones, that aren't really multinational in nature.  Mom & Pops don't have departments to take care of this stuff and, thus, often don't until last minute or after something has come into effect, particularly if their base of operation is not within the EU.

--

I agree organisations like the ICO in the UK and the EU Commission should have been more clear and helpful.

On Saturday, 26 May 2018, 22:52:06 GMT+1, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:32 pm, Abdul Hai wrote:
but this law has been coming for ages.
And really wasn't on the radar screen of quite a few entities, particularly small ones, that aren't really multinational in nature.  Mom & Pops don't have departments to take care of this stuff and, thus, often don't until last minute or after something has come into effect, particularly if their base of operation is not within the EU.

--