Topics

Head list representative requests list-wide comments about his recent conduct, Chrome extension admin notice is repealed #AdminNotice

Dear Win10 forum family,

First, I hereby take back the admin notice regarding Chrome extension thread. It became clear to me that the notice did more harm than good. For causing this, and for not being a good role model and list administrator due to these notices and recent conduct, I apologize.

Second, I would like to receive feedback about my recent conduct as your head list representative. After looking at recent comments about my behavior and tone, and after thinking about my behavior on this forum cluster, I realized that I have recently become more harsh and hostile, more sensitive, and rude at times. I would like to hear your comments about how I’m doing as your leader, what I do well, what I’m doing wrong, and what I can do. Feedback should be sent to win10+owner@groups.io. While I receive your feedback, I have asked Austin Pinto and Brian Vogel to act as acting representatives so I can concentrate on listening to and thinking about your feedback, and I’ll write a letter based on your feedback in early June.

Thank you, and I am once again sorry for not being a good role model and forum administrator in recent months.

Sincerely,

Joseph

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Joseph,

What the hell is going on here?!  You are one of the best list owners around!  So what if you make a suggestion, and people disagree, isn't this what makes a better group?!  Have things gone so freakin politically correct that you have to fold because a couple of people disagree?!  In my opinion you don't have to reflect on anything!  You do what you think is correct, so what if it isn't met with 100% agreement!  Life goes on, and so do we all!

Joseph, you care about this list and all involved, so if caring is so wrong, what in the hell is right?!  I'll tell you what is right, you being you!  I would say I'm sorry for the tone of my post, but I am not sorry in the least bit!  There's an old saying and it goes something like this:
You can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time.

With that being said, I think I've made my vote on how you stand with this list member, at least just a little bit!  LOL  LOL  You hang in there brother!
!Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

[...]

Mary Otten

I sort of agree with Mike here, although as I said in a previous note, I didn’t really understand that one message. I certainly don’t think you have to take a time out, take yourself out of the loop or beat yourself up. We are all human. We all have good days and bad. We all make errors from time to time. So I think we might be making more of a big deal out of this than what it is.
Mary

On May 24, 2018, at 7:55 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

Hi, Joseph,

We all make mistakes. I know at times I can get heavy-handed. We all have bad days so don't beat yourself up over this. Just try to be calm and think things through. You've done a great job in running this list so keep up the good work. We all can get harsh at times. Just keep doing the good job that you're doing.

Rosemarie

On 5/24/2018 8:30 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
[...]

hi all I would like to request all of you please dont reply to this
topic but please send feedback on
win10+owner@groups.io
this will keep it in one place and will help us.

win10+owner@groups.io <mailto:win10+owner@groups.io>. While I receive
your feedback, I have asked Austin Pinto and Brian Vogel to act as
acting representatives so I can concentrate on listening to and
thinking about your feedback, and I’ll write a letter based on your
feedback in early June.

Thank you, and I am once again sorry for not being a good role model
and forum administrator in recent months.

Sincerely,

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Ron Kolesar

Joe, Like I stated in my reply to David, please stay on as head list.
I highly agree with David that you keep us all up to date with what is going on with win 10 and any other important matters.
So please stay on and keep the list the way it is.
Hope this helps out.
Ron

[...]

Joseph:

Leaders must make decisions and those decisions do not necessarily meet with the approval of each individual they pertain to.  It is the price of leadership, whether in the military, business or any other human endeavor, it is imperative to act in accordance with loyalty to our own beliefs while experience slowly teaches us to make corrections along the way.  Popularity is never the goal of a good leader.

Mailing lists posts are no exception.  While collectively they make it generally easier for each of us to gain knowledge, it is desirable that each members read every post before posting themselves each time  they review the post; each should avoid repetitive posts that reiterate what another has already said, resist from posting mere statements of agreement or disagreement without contributing something valuable to the ongoing discussion, so forth and so on on following email list etiquette that is ultimately how a list survives the test of time.

It is a lonely disagreeable job, but someone has to do it in order for the list to thrive.  I consider you an excellent provider of information and your dedication to the list is admirable.  Please do not worry if from time to time you rough some feathers, it goes with the territory; just keep on judging and learning, keep on trying to make the list as concise and informative as you can, without ever getting arrogant, because, no matter how much you (or anyone else) know,  there is always so much more to learn!

Just my opinion,

Humberto Rodriguez

Fort White, Florida

[...]

Blaster

Joseph and Austin, I apologize for posting this as you requested
posting directly to the owner's email, but like Mike I felt like this
discussion of forum policy has leaned into an attack against Joseph
and it just hit me as uncalled for and disrespectful. Joseph has been
a helpful and thoughtful administrator and he's trying to strike a
balance between keeping the list on topic and not fatigueing the list
with unwanted off topic traffic. He expressed his opinion on the
matter and after hearing opposing opinions made a disicion. Nobody's
in the wrong here, it just seemed to get personal and that's where I
felt this went too far. There's a big difference between democracy and
mob rule.

I have nothing else to add to this discussion except, be kind,
Blaster

<mailto:win10+owner@groups.io> . While I receive your feedback, I have
asked
Austin Pinto and Brian Vogel to act as acting representatives so I can
concentrate on listening to and thinking about your feedback, and I'll
write
a letter based on your feedback in early June.

Thank you, and I am once again sorry for not being a good role model and
forum administrator in recent months.

Sincerely,

Joseph

Larry Wayland

Joseph:

Your doing fine for the most part, however sometimes I think you need to be a little more relaxed on these side discussions.  A lot of times these type posts are where I get most of my useful information.

Don’t beat yourself up though. Leadership is a sometimes lonely place.  Noone  can make perfect decisions everytime.

Larry

[...]

Mr. Ed

I agree with Mike on this one.

Ed

[...]

Hi everyone,

First, happy Memorial Day for friends in United States.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my recent conduct. It appears the consensus is that I should resume my head list representative duties, which I’ll do once NVDACon 2018 is over (this weekend). I’ll go over notable comments I read while taking a vacation:

After reflecting on comments and talking to people, I think I found a possible factor in my recent posts: differing interpretations on what is on topic. I tend to view Windows 10 ecosystem, hence the discussion here, as centering around Windows 10, devices, features, and universal apps from Microsoft Store and accessibility ratings. However, after thinking about recent messages, it became clear that blocking certain topics may cause us to lose unity, with a prominent example being web browsers and features (extensions, for example, and if blocked, that could cause problems way later when people bring up Edge extensions). Although I sometimes still have tendency to use narrower definitions on topicality, I will leave it up to the membership to dictate what is on topic (as in folks talking about various things) as long as it is related to Windows 10 and its ecosystem, along with screen readers that live or will live in it. As for topics I plan to work on (or mostly specialize on), they’ll include cumulative update notices, news from around the world on Windows 10 development, overviews of what’s coming in future feature updates, universal app accessibility bulletins and other topics that’ll have impact on Windows 10+screen reader users; of course, I can’t forget my duty as your head list representative, so I’ll post news from Groups.IO and other sources that’ll have impact on the entire forum cluster.

Regarding a comment from Brian about same topics on many lists: yes, I agree with his observations. I guess, for us, the differentiator is our big picture: Windows 10 ecosystem. Also, we are home to many Windows Insiders who are using Insider Preview builds with various screen readers, so it serves as some sort of a guide when it comes to meeting future features.

In regards to labeling me as “one of the best admins around”: although I thank you for this label, I do know that there are moderators out there who are much better than I am. I do know that, for the most part I’m merciful and relaxed, but at other times, I can be fierce, particularly when I perceive the well-being of the list is questioned. As someone else said, being an admin of a list, particularly for a large and diverse as this forum cluster (almost 500 members, some prominent Microsoft staff and screen reader reps being a part of our family) requires balancing between how I feel versus what the list feels, and making sure that I don’t lose my integrity. Personally, what makes an admin good is not only what he or she does, but also the reputation of the forum one is leading and administering, and I think we should take a moment to celebrate how far we have come and building a good reputation outside this community.

Again thank you everyone for your valuable comments and criticisms regarding my recent conduct.

[...]

g melconian

Thanks joeseph.stay around and give us all that  informative news.

David Moore

Hi Joseph!

That is great!

This list with Microsoft staff and Windows insiders, and information about up-coming Windows 10 builds, universal apps, is what makes this list totally unique. Most people on other lists do not get this information.

Take care, Joseph, and thank you for all of the info and help you have given us.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Mário Navarro

Hi Joseph.
Thanks for everything you do for us good friend ...

you're simply the best ...

long life to Joseph Lee.

cheers.

Sem vírus. www.avast.com