Topics

locked A word on recent happenings: Chrome thread, new Microsoft engineer on board #AdminNotice

Dear Win10 forum family,

I’d like to announce that we have a new Microsoft staff with us. I’m sure this person will make a statement when ready.

But to a more pressing event: for people who have been discussing Chrome extensions, I would like to kindly advise that we think about relevance of that topic to this forum. In the old days, I would have locked the thread after explaining the purpose of the forum cluster. But now, I think a time of reflection might be a more appropriate thing to do.

Thank you.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

its revavent in my opinion if they work with screen readers.  If such topics are not appropate I will consider unsubscribing.

I’d like to announce that we have a new Microsoft staff with us. I’m sure this person will make a statement when ready.

But to a more pressing event: for people who have been discussing Chrome extensions, I would like to kindly advise that we think about relevance of that topic to this forum. In the old days, I would have locked the thread after explaining the purpose of the forum cluster. But now, I think a time of reflection might be a more appropriate thing to do.

Thank you.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Joseph,

         Web browsers, all of them, are an integral part of the Windows 10 (and earlier, too) ecosystems.  Accessibility to use all parts of the ecosystem for screen reader users is, I though, a core part of this group.

          You're restrictive definition of "appropriate for discussion here" is, to put it mildly, inappropriate.  You've got some reflecting to do.

     In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

         ~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I agree.  If this group is going to be this heavily handed moderated I will unsubscribe.

         Web browsers, all of them, are an integral part of the Windows 10 (and earlier, too) ecosystems.  Accessibility to use all parts of the ecosystem for screen reader users is, I though, a core part of this group.

          You're restrictive definition of "appropriate for discussion here" is, to put it mildly, inappropriate.  You've got some reflecting to do.

     In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

         ~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

Mary Otten

Joseph,
I have generally understood your moderator directions and notes etc. But this one I don’t get it. Why in heavens name is it not appropriate to discuss the usability of a browser if one is running windows 10? Chrome is one set browser. If the discussion where about edge, would that be different? Is this supposed to be limited to Microsoft products and services only? That seems a bit weird.
Mary

On May 24, 2018, at 6:11 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Dear Win10 forum family,

I’d like to announce that we have a new Microsoft staff with us. I’m sure this person will make a statement when ready.

But to a more pressing event: for people who have been discussing Chrome extensions, I would like to kindly advise that we think about relevance of that topic to this forum. In the old days, I would have locked the thread after explaining the purpose of the forum cluster. But now, I think a time of reflection might be a more appropriate thing to do.

Thank you.

Perhaps it was due to the fact that the thread was slightly more general, as it discussed web browser extensions that comes up on a more general discussion list, as well as my impression of length of time the thread was active. The “relevance” had to do with discussion of extensions on a more specialized list such as ours, and I may have gotten carried away.

As for other threads like this in the past: we had threads like that before, and it settled down after a while. I do concede that it was outright weird (and very rude of me) to post this one.

I’ll write a follow-up admin notice. Sorry everyone for causing huge embarrassment and being very rude today.

[...]

g melconian

I do agree with bth bryan and dennis.i may end up doing he same if things keep on going down this sort of road with every topic aht has to be looked upon.

I agree.  If this group is going to be this heavily handed moderated I will unsubscribe.

         Web browsers, all of them, are an integral part of the Windows 10 (and earlier, too) ecosystems.  Accessibility to use all parts of the ecosystem for screen reader users is, I though, a core part of this group.

          You're restrictive definition of "appropriate for discussion here" is, to put it mildly, inappropriate.  You've got some reflecting to do.

     In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

         ~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I get that you may have been having a bad day. I get that you're human, however.

A lot of these so called moderator messages are simply way overboard. I wasn't aware talking about a web browser which, by all means, *is* being run on my windows 10 computer, is against guidelines.

It's like saying yes, talk about Honda, but don't you dare mention where you got those seat covers from.

You continually moderate things that will, or have been, simple discussions and debates or, in the case of this, so ridiculously extreme it doesn't even warrant words.

We're all adults here. You're grabbing us by both hands and feet and I personally find this quite insulting.

Please stop it. It's absurd. Please do some reflecting of your own.

On 24-May-2018 8:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Dear Win10 forum family,

I’d like to announce that we have a new Microsoft staff with us. I’m sure this person will make a statement when ready.

But to a more pressing event: for people who have been discussing Chrome extensions, I would like to kindly advise that we think about relevance of that topic to this forum. In the old days, I would have locked the thread after explaining the purpose of the forum cluster. But now, I think a time of reflection might be a more appropriate thing to do.

Thank you.

g melconian

Plus 1 to this one.if things go down this road you will have folks unsubscribing.just giving some caution to what is going  on lately on  this group.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I agree more over add ons that help or extensions that help us use our computers better and be more productive are on topic I think  You appear to want to be heavy handed you will drive more people away instead of helping.  Your usually helpful however this crazy moderator messages need to stop!  Let me make another point.  I have trouble reading an article I need for school or work what if I don’t know there are extensions or add ons out there for a specific browser that will put an article in reader mode?  It is windows10 related the browser is run on win10 so its on topic bottom line is you were wrong.   I agree everyone has bad days but you have been overly harsh lately in my opinion.

[...]

I do agree with these post .lately this forum is not becoming a discussion forum  I feel the same way about your moderation atley.its getting a bit out of control.take a chill pill and relax an reflect.if you don’t some of us who have been around here for a long time wmay end up not contrubuting an if ther is no contribution then there is no discussion forum.  .

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

Joseph,

Before you write an angry message, take deep breaths to calm down. Maybe you might need to be away from the computer for awhile. I didn't see this entire thread but if you are getting too heavy-handed, that will drive people away. Think carefully before posting a message.

Rosemarie

On 5/24/2018 9:00 PM, g melconian wrote:

Plus 1 to this one.if things go down this road you will have folks unsubscribing.just giving some caution to what is going  on lately on  this group.

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

I think he needs to calm down. I'll probably end up leaving if he continues to write harsh messages. I really don't want to because it has been a great list but I may not have a choice.

On 5/24/2018 8:52 PM, g melconian wrote:

I do agree with bth bryan and dennis.i may end up doing he same if things keep on going down this sort of road with every topic aht has to be looked upon.

I agree.  If this group is going to be this heavily handed moderated I will unsubscribe.

         Web browsers, all of them, are an integral part of the Windows 10 (and earlier, too) ecosystems.  Accessibility to use all parts of the ecosystem for screen reader users is, I though, a core part of this group.

          You're restrictive definition of "appropriate for discussion here" is, to put it mildly, inappropriate.  You've got some reflecting to do.

     In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

         ~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...>

Perhaps a new group should be started?  Certainly there are enough knowledgeable people here to keep it going. I still remember a thread was dying then Joeseph through gas on it, the thread exploded and Joeseph had to close the thread.  If he’d left it alone it would have died quickly.  Knowing when to step in and back off letting things run their course is an acquired skill. Not everyone has mastered this art.

Before you write an angry message, take deep breaths to calm down. Maybe you might need to be away from the computer for awhile. I didn't see this entire thread but if you are getting too heavy-handed, that will drive people away. Think carefully before posting a message.

Rosemarie

On 5/24/2018 9:00 PM, g melconian wrote:

Plus 1 to this one.if things go down this road you will have folks unsubscribing.just giving some caution to what is going  on lately on  this group.

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

Hi, David,

Maybe a new group wouldn't be a bad idea. If Joseph can't handle being a moderator, maybe he should step down and let either Brian Vogal or Austin Pinto take over. These are just my thoughts.

Rosemarie