Topics

Critical period proposal: critical period will remain for now but should be reformed #AdminNotice

Hi all,

First, thank you to everyone who shared their votes and comments on the critical period proposal. After tallying the votes, it came out to five “yes” and four “no”.

The result is significant in that:

  • Critical period will be kept for now.
  • Comments from several voters indicate perceived lack of participation by Microsoft staff during critical periods.
  • One person suggested using a subgroup for critical period discussions, which is something that might not happen.
  • One person suggested flexible critical period based on installation dates. This is impractical to implement, as the first group of people who’ll install RTM builds will be Windows Insiders.
  • One person suggested reducing critical period to 48 hours.

Due to varying responses, I believe a reformed critical period procedure may need to be introduced. I’ll present a follow-up survey in summer that’ll ask how we should reform critical periods, with a possibility of discontinuing it altogether. Thus, the result from this proposal shall be treated as non-binding (advisory only) for now, with the final decision expected by end of summer.

Thank you.

Jessica D

Hi,
As stated during the vote, I like them.
I say this for the following reasons:
1. Users can learn about issues, and make an informed decision on whether or not to upgrade right away
2. Critical issues can be fixed in a timely manner by Microsoft, and screen-reader users

On May 14, 2018, at 3:12 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I didn’t get a chance to vote however my vote would have been for no.  I don’t feel list traffic should be suspended.  I also would add no comments from Microsoft staff or any other screen reader staff.

[...]

What I meant for basing things on installed updates would be the first mainstream non insider group but yeah that probably wouldn't work as such.

Its just we really need some sort of check to make sure the update will come out that day and if it doesn't, need a way to end it faster.

No ms reps have actually talked on this or even the other nvda lists ever or hardly ever.

The way we got any notifications were from third party news sources online and those can have a 50% chance of being fake.