Topics

Head list representative is feeling uncomfortable at the moment: default web browser thread, toxic forum environment, mannerisms (for the umpteenth time) #AdminNotice

Dear Win10 forum family,

Yes, you heard/read the subject line correctly: I, your head list representative, is feeling uncomfortable at the moment: not just physically, but emotionally. It pains me to send out yet another admin notice regarding a thread (and accompanying mannerisms), and this time, it concerns at least two critical problems that are blocking the progress of this Win10 forum cluster.

The critical issues being:

  • Installing feature updates without thinking about possible consequences, especially installing it on the day it comes out despite pleas from leaders and noted experts.
  • Some posts from some people (or at least implied words in them) are creating an environment that is not good for the entire forum cluster, especially when it comes to mannerisms.

First, I would like to remind you all again: please wait until your computers are tagged as “feature update ready” before installing a feature update. There is a reason why I, Brian V, Austin and many others are saying this: feature updates go through real-life testing by early adopters in the early days, hence Microsoft won’t let everyone deploy it until a few months later. Unless you know exactly what you are running into (possible issues), you should wait until the new update shows up.

Also, a bit of clarification: as I said before, if you are running Windows 10 build 17133: that is NOT Version 1803 final build – build 17134 is.

Second (and most importantly), please do NOT make me write another mannerism notice in the middle of the night (I really mean it, especially right before university finals). Consider the statement made by at least two people in the thread about default web browser in Version 1803:

Calm down because you can change this option easily.

This is both insulting AND unhelpful. Insulting, because the person who has this issue may feel belittled, and unhelpful, because it is not a constructive solution.

Why am I bringing this up (for the umpteenth time)? First and foremost, statements like the above, although it may have served to reassure the original poster, is actually a way to add toxic fuel to the environment (insulting people is a good toxic fuel to make folks feel uncomfortable). Second, words are swords- it has power to make good things out of people, and have power to cut hopes and support.

I can tell that there are folks here who think they can ignore mannerism problems and associated admin notices. Please don’t ignore these (I’m pleading from bended knee), especially when our words, actions, and attitudes make people feel uncomfortable. I would go so far and say that the environment on this forum is very toxic at the moment, and without proactive steps to “clean this mess from everyone”, we won’t be able to “breathe fresh air” – make the forum cluster a welcoming place for people who need help and guidance. Folks, we can do better, and I hope this would be the last time I talk about mannerisms and toxic posts.

Now I hereby give you a solemn warning: I thought hard about what I am about to say and do, but it must be done:

This letter shall be my final admin notice about mannerisms and toxic posts/environment (in a nice way). The days of me providing guidance on mannerisms is over. Given that repeated mannerism reminders didn’t work, I hereby will let the entire forum cluster go through (and actually feel) what happens (in the future) when the forum cluster environment becomes so toxic to a point where the traffic halts (called direct issue confrontation). My hope is that, by letting you go through that one day, you’ll understand why it is important to keep in check what we say and how we say things, and how serious the mannerism issue has become and start a list-wide feedback and dialogue.

As a follow-up step: normally I would have locked the thread where the insult occurred. But in order to let you see the magnitude of this problem, I’m not going to lock the thread this time. This should also give folks a chance to apologize on THAT thread (not as a reply to this letter) and resolve the issue in a civil manner, in addition to resolving the web browser issue in a more professional manner.

Folks, as much as this forum cluster is seen as a helpful forum from the outside, we need to also think about the environment inside this forum. Our words, actions, and attitudes shape the forum environment. And folks, please heed the advice from those who’ve gone before you when asked.

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to last night’s message: I have received a message regarding my conduct from a highly respected member of this forum cluster, who advised me to reexamine how sensitive I am in responding to recent posts. After much discussion and thinking, I hereby apologize for certain wording in some of my recent admin notices, ultimately coming from certain attitudes I held. Specifically, being focused on providing “a perfect experience” has caused me to become oversensitive on certain issues.

The general statement on mannerisms still apply though: words do have power.

In the future, I’ll try my best to minimize over-reactive admin notices on certain things, knowing that we cannot achieve perfect experiences – in contrary, striving for one causes divisions. Also, on a separate thread (or privately), please file any complaint about how I manage this forum cluster so I can work on proactive solutions.

Thank you.

[...]

Val Paul <vpcara79@...>

Hi!

Hi!

Think you do a  jolly good job trying to keep it together.

You can't please people all of the time, you can only do your best, and that's what your doing!

Val.

On 04/05/2018 17:59, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Ok all just read joe’s apoliagy and we do not need tons of comments on it and filling the emails of our devices.

Thanks for letting me vent

[...]

David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...>

Agreed.  Do I think he over re-acts on somethings?  Yes, but in the big picture, he is doing a good job.  The incident I am thinking of was when it appeared a thread was dieing and Joeseph inadvertently through gas on the dying flames. Then closed the thread because it got a lot worse.  I would however, rather that, then, booting someone off or placing them on moderated status because the mod does not like them, or missintirpates something posted and jumps to the wrong conclusion before bothering to get all the facts.

[...]

Mário Navarro

Yes, that's right.
I don't understand the criticism that some people do to Joseph.
Nobody is perfect, and we can not expect that from Joseph.
Joseph is a good friend, and does everything for us.

I don't want to hurt anybody, but for me, Joseph is a special man, but it's not perfect.
and I'm glad it's not.

long life to Joseph Lee.
cheers.

Sem vírus. www.avast.com