Topics

Important words on Version 1803: upgrade when prompted, public release delayed #AdminNotice #WinTenOld

Dear Win10 family,

First, I do know about what was going on in this forum – even though I was at Colorado competing, I did check emails from time to time. I’m going to Wisconsin next week for another national tournament, but there are a few things more important than giving my speeches one more time at a national level, all having to do with Windows 10 Version 1803.

A few words about this version and update assumptions:

  • Update delayed: as noted by Shaun E and others, reports indicate that Microsoft hit a blocking bug last weekend that led them to delay public debut of Version 1803. Although we don’t know exactly what this bug is, folks indicate that it is a bug that won’t affect everyone but is severe enough to cause this delay. So please hold on tight.
  • Critical period suspended: as I wrote yesterday, critical period for 1803 has been suspended (effectively canceled). Once the we know when Version 1803 will hit the air, a new critical period will be enacted and a new release event will be scheduled on our forum calendar. And when I do say “critical period”, I seriously mean it (some of you saw effects of this yesterday as most of the messages on this forum were on upgrade issues and news).
  • Do not be tempted to update on the day Version 1803 hits the air: I would say that you should NOT update to ANY feature update on the day it hits the air unless you know exactly what you are doing or are confident at providing early tech support to others. Over the course of history of this forum cluster (and Windows 10 era in general), we had people who did upgrade to the new feature update only to discover that they were not ready to embrace changes. If that’s you, my warning above applies to you (all in capitals): DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE NEXT FEATURE UPDATE UNLESS PROMPTED BY WINDOWS UPDATE!!! For Windows Insiders, a similar warning applies to some of you: YOU SHOULD NOT USE INSIDER PREVIEW BUILDS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK, ARE ASSISTIVE TECH DEVELOPERS, OR CAN adopt to CHANGES QUICKLY! I’m saying all this in capitals (and in case of the first one, with multiple exclamation marks indicating bended knees and pleading passionately) to highlight how and why this is important. If you want to hear real-life experiences, please talk to Brian V who do have such experiences, and for Windows Insiders, talk to Austin, and for assistive tech vendors, please talk to me, Microsoft staff and other vendor representatives on this forum cluster.

Thank you.

yes regarding insiders i would like to add i would highly recommend
you if you want to use insider builds use it on a vmware or on a non
production computer.
using insider builds on a computer used to do important things is a
big no no unless you have good backups, are ok with reinstalling
windows or can role back to older builds.
i have seen everything in the insider build. computer not booting,
nvda not reading things properly sometimes, and most of all role back
to a previous build not working when required the most.

[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

What about if you just run release preview only, I have been tempted to stay in that build.

On 12/04/2018 12:44 p.m., Austin Pinto wrote:
[...]

if 1 was the safest i would put release preview on 1 slow ring on 2
fast ring on 3 skip ahead ring on 4 but if you have and have to run
insider builds on a production computer although i would highly not
recommend it but you can run release preview ring.

[...]

I was just wandering, I am not going to run insider builds on anything to be honest though I have actually got an insider account with the credentials but I havn't the machine to test.

And to be honest I think with the way they go I would probably sit on either slow or release ring I don't know if I could cope with the number of reformats to fix all the issues if the system didn't boot.

Even when I did test other oses I always ended up forgetting about the test machine.