Topics

Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 1803 #ADVISORY #WinTenOld

Dear screen reader users, vendors, observers and others,

The following is considered a preliminary notice for screen reader advisories and compatibility for Windows 10 Version 1803. As this is preliminary information, the below notice is subject to change.

Windows 10 Version 1803 is scheduled to hit the air in a few weeks. Notable highlights include Focus Assist/do not disturb mode, new possibilities for universal apps, Near Share, redesigned Settings app and other apps, Timeline and many others. For screen reader users, Narrator has seen some changes, as well as minor tweaks were made to UI Automation and some apps.

Key features:

• Keep track of activities across devices via Timeline.
  • Turn off notifications (except form key contacts and/or alarms) via Focus Assist.
  • Redesigned Ease of Access section in Settings app.
  • Run more than one instance of the same universal app (provided the app supports it).
  • Support for Unix sockets in Windows Subsystem for Linux.
  • Let Microsoft Edge fill out certain forms automatically.
  • Share files and data between nearby Bluetooth devices via Near Share.
  • Pin up to ten contacts on Taskbar.
  • Copy current Narrator settings to be used in secure screens.
  • Change Narrator output device.
  • View diagnostic data generated by Windows and apps.
  • Many other features.

Screen reader compatibility: any screen reader that supports Windows 10 Version 1703 or later will work. For best experience, use a screen reader build that supports at least one feature in Windows 10 Version 1709. This is especially the case for users with Controlled Folder Access and/or Windows Defender Application Guard turned on.

Compatible releases:

• Narrator: compatible.
  • JAWS for Windows: 18.0 or later.
  • NonVisual Desktop Access: 2017.4 or later.
  • Any screen reader declaring support for Windows 10 Version 1703.

Additional recommendations and requirements for optimal experience:

1. Support for Microsoft Edge and related technologies is now a must.
  2. Support for Controlled Folder Access is strongly recommended for optimal screen reader updating experience, as without this, some screen reader update features will not work properly.
  3. Support for announcing notifications from apps via UIA notification event is highly recommended.
  4. Support for running on 64-bit ARM processors (directly or via emulation) is optional, but supporting this opens more possibilities.
  5. A Windows Store version is an optional experience.

Things to be aware of:

JAWS:

• Audio ducking feature is currently broken
  • UIA notification event isn’t supported.
  • Does not support certain key features in Version 1709.

NVDA:

• UIA notification event support is planned for NVDA 2018.2 at the earliest.
  • You need to use NVDA 2018.1 if you have Controlled Folder Access enabled, as without this version, screen reader update functionality will not work properly.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ann Byrne

What is "controlled folder access"?

thanks,

Hi,
Controlled Folder Access prevents suspicious software from modifying user
data and other folders unless permission is given.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 8:44 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 1803
#ADVISORY #WinTen1803

thanks,

It is a new security feature so windows defender can control all your folders and who has access to them, and it is just another thing we need to turn off.

On 6/03/2018 5:43 p.m., Ann Byrne wrote:

thanks,

Dennis L

I agree.

----- Original Message -----
To: <win10@win10.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 1803 #ADVISORY #WinTen1803

It is a new security feature so windows defender can control all your folders and who has access to them, and it is just another thing we need to turn off.

thanks,

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Shaun,

Where do we find this, controlled folder access, setting to turn it off?  Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree

Sent: Monday, March 05, 2018 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 1803 #ADVISORY #WinTen1803

It is a new security feature so windows defender can control all your
folders and who has access to them, and it is just another thing we need
to turn off.

> What is "controlled folder access"?
>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Hi,

It is under Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Thread Protection/Virus and Thread Protection Settings. I recommend keeping this on unless if you really have to turn it off.

By the way, later this year, screen readers MUST support Edge and related technologies (recommended for now, mandatory later) unless things change. Ask me on the insiders subgroup as to why I’m saying this. This will impact users of really old JAWS releases such as 16.0.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:21 PM

Hi Shaun,

Where do we find this, controlled folder access, setting to turn it off?  Thanks much.

Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Well its part of windows defender, but when I found it it was never on in the first place.

Even if its a good thing I recieved the feature with it off and I see no point to it.

Well there may be a point, but the fact you can turn it off means that its just a good idea to turn it off incase it breaks your software.

Now if you used a multi account system then mabe but with the issue with antivirus software classifying all sorts of stuff from old documents etc as viruses, I will have to structure my drive where I simply exclude bunches of folders or even have all installed programs in certain folders and have those excluded which is really bad to be honest but I don't trust windows defender to leave my stuff alone.

On 9/03/2018 11:20 a.m., Mike B. wrote:
Hi Shaun,

Where do we find this, controlled folder access, setting to turn it off?
Thanks much.

Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree
Subject: Re: [win10] Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 1803
#ADVISORY #WinTen1803

to turn off.

thanks,

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Joseph,

My, control folder access, is turned off, & I never touched it.  Do you recommend turning it on?  Thanks much.

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2018 2:30 PM

Hi,

It is under Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Thread Protection/Virus and Thread Protection Settings. I recommend keeping this on unless if you really have to turn it off.

By the way, later this year, screen readers MUST support Edge and related technologies (recommended for now, mandatory later) unless things change. Ask me on the insiders subgroup as to why I’m saying this. This will impact users of really old JAWS releases such as 16.0.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Hi,

Depends on if you need it or not. The whole point of that feature is to protect data from ransomware such as possible new variants of WannaCry and friends.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:04 PM

Hi Joseph,

My, control folder access, is turned off, & I never touched it.  Do you recommend turning it on?  Thanks much.

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Michael Massey <massey52@...>

Hi.  The feature mentioned in the subject line was turned off by default.  So, I turned the feature on.  Since I turned the feature on, I feel like I am being bombarded with Windows 10 notifications that changes were made and access folders were blocked or some such phrasing.  Sorry I’m not very helpful in trying to explain what Jaws 2018 is speaking because the notifications appear randomly and disappear.    I don’t know if I need this feature turned on or not. 

Mike M.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Friday, March 9, 2018 4:34 AM

Hi,

Depends on if you need it or not. The whole point of that feature is to protect data from ransomware such as possible new variants of WannaCry and friends.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Dennis L

how do I turn it off?

Sent: Friday, March 9, 2018 7:17 AM

Hi.  The feature mentioned in the subject line was turned off by default.  So, I turned the feature on.  Since I turned the feature on, I feel like I am being bombarded with Windows 10 notifications that changes were made and access folders were blocked or some such phrasing.  Sorry I’m not very helpful in trying to explain what Jaws 2018 is speaking because the notifications appear randomly and disappear.    I don’t know if I need this feature turned on or not. 

Mike M.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Michael Massey <massey52@...>

Open Windows Defender as you usually do. Hilight the virus and threat protection button and press it.  Tab to the settings button and press it.  Tab until you hear something like folder control or something like that, heck, I can’t remember because I turned the setting on.  You probably don’t need to turn the feature off as it is already turned off by default. 

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: Friday, March 9, 2018 8:07 AM

how do I turn it off?

Mike M.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Dennis,

I checked mine, & it was off by default.  Below Joseph says where it's located if you want to check your setting.
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Friday, March 09, 2018 7:06 AM

how do I turn it off?

Mike M.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .
>

Robert Mendoza

the Control file Access is set to default to off, however it is your choice either to toggle it on.

But if you like to double check where it was located, please do the steps as follow:
1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, then tabbing through until you heard of the Setting button to spress to activate.
2. Tab twice to Virus & threat protection settingslink, press spacebar
3. tab several times until you head  of Controlled folder access were you could toggle it off and on by choice.

Robert Mendoza
On 3/9/2018 11:06 PM, Dennis L wrote:

how do I turn it off?

Mike M.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Shaun,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

to turn off.

>
> thanks,
>
>
>
>
> .