Topics

Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 1803 #ADVISORY #WinTenOld

Dear screen reader users, vendors, observers and others,

The following is considered a preliminary notice for screen reader advisories and compatibility for Windows 10 Version 1803. As this is preliminary information, the below notice is subject to change.

Windows 10 Version 1803 is scheduled to hit the air in a few weeks. Notable highlights include Focus Assist/do not disturb mode, new possibilities for universal apps, Near Share, redesigned Settings app and other apps, Timeline and many others. For screen reader users, Narrator has seen some changes, as well as minor tweaks were made to UI Automation and some apps.

Key features:

  • Keep track of activities across devices via Timeline.
  • Turn off notifications (except form key contacts and/or alarms) via Focus Assist.
  • Redesigned Ease of Access section in Settings app.
  • Run more than one instance of the same universal app (provided the app supports it).
  • Support for Unix sockets in Windows Subsystem for Linux.
  • Let Microsoft Edge fill out certain forms automatically.
  • Share files and data between nearby Bluetooth devices via Near Share.
  • Pin up to ten contacts on Taskbar.
  • Copy current Narrator settings to be used in secure screens.
  • Change Narrator output device.
  • View diagnostic data generated by Windows and apps.
  • Many other features.

Screen reader compatibility: any screen reader that supports Windows 10 Version 1703 or later will work. For best experience, use a screen reader build that supports at least one feature in Windows 10 Version 1709. This is especially the case for users with Controlled Folder Access and/or Windows Defender Application Guard turned on.

Compatible releases:

  • Narrator: compatible.
  • JAWS for Windows: 18.0 or later.
  • NonVisual Desktop Access: 2017.4 or later.
  • Any screen reader declaring support for Windows 10 Version 1703.

Additional recommendations and requirements for optimal experience:

  1. Support for Microsoft Edge and related technologies is now a must.
  2. Support for Controlled Folder Access is strongly recommended for optimal screen reader updating experience, as without this, some screen reader update features will not work properly.
  3. Support for announcing notifications from apps via UIA notification event is highly recommended.
  4. Support for running on 64-bit ARM processors (directly or via emulation) is optional, but supporting this opens more possibilities.
  5. A Windows Store version is an optional experience.

Things to be aware of:

JAWS:

  • Audio ducking feature is currently broken
  • UIA notification event isn’t supported.
  • Does not support certain key features in Version 1709.

NVDA:

  • UIA notification event support is planned for NVDA 2018.2 at the earliest.
  • You need to use NVDA 2018.1 if you have Controlled Folder Access enabled, as without this version, screen reader update functionality will not work properly.

Ann Byrne

What is "controlled folder access"?

thanks,

Hi,
Controlled Folder Access prevents suspicious software from modifying user
data and other folders unless permission is given.

From: Joseph Lee
Hi,
It is under Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Thread Protection/Virus and Thread Protection Settings. I recommend keeping this on unless if you really have to turn it off.
By the way, later this year, screen readers MUST support Edge and related technologies (recommended for now, mandatory later) unless things change. Ask me on the insiders subgroup as to why I’m saying this. This will impact users of really old JAWS releases such as 16.0.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi.  The feature mentioned in the subject line was turned off by default.  So, I turned the feature on.  Since I turned the feature on, I feel like I am being bombarded with Windows 10 notifications that changes were made and access folders were blocked or some such phrasing.  Sorry I’m not very helpful in trying to explain what Jaws 2018 is speaking because the notifications appear randomly and disappear.    I don’t know if I need this feature turned on or not.

Mike M.

Depends on if you need it or not. The whole point of that feature is to protect data from ransomware such as possible new variants of WannaCry and friends.

It is under Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Thread Protection/Virus and Thread Protection Settings. I recommend keeping this on unless if you really have to turn it off.

By the way, later this year, screen readers MUST support Edge and related technologies (recommended for now, mandatory later) unless things change. Ask me on the insiders subgroup as to why I’m saying this. This will impact users of really old JAWS releases such as 16.0.

It is a new security feature so windows defender can control all your
folders and who has access to them, and it is just another thing we need
to turn off.

On 6/03/2018 5:43 p.m., Ann Byrne wrote:
> What is "controlled folder access"?
>
> thanks,
>

> .

Robert Mendoza

the Control file Access is set to default to off, however it is your choice either to toggle it on.

But if you like to double check where it was located, please do the steps as follow:
1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, then tabbing through until you heard of the Setting button to spress to activate.
2. Tab twice to Virus & threat protection settingslink, press spacebar
3. tab several times until you head  of Controlled folder access were you could toggle it off and on by choice.

Robert Mendoza

how do I turn it off?