From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Gray
Sent: 05 March 2018 13:00
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] windows 10 startup jingle

Brian!

How does one determine if they have administrative privileges on their machine and if not how does one enable that?on their machine?

For those who would like a Shutdown sound, first, make sure that Fast
Startup is turned OFF. Control Panel, Power Options, Chose what the
Power button does link, Change settings that are currently unavailable
link, uncheck the checkbox for "Turn on fast startup (recommended).

Download the attached XML file: PlayShutdownSound.xml This
contains the XML code for a system task that will play a sound (one of
the built in Microsoft "ring" sounds that does not sound like a phone,
but more like
chimes) when the system event indicating a shutdown is taking place is
started. Know where you put it.

Then, open Control Panel, Administrative Tasks, Task Scheduler. Hit
ALT+A,M (Actions Menu, Import option) which will open up an Open
ALT+dialog
where you will navigate to find the XML file. Select that file then
activate the Open button. This will open the "Create Task" dialog.
Activate the OK button. This should create the task to play the
shutdown sound when your account that you were using to create this
task tells the computer to shutdown.

This has behaved differently on different machines, much of which is
determined by exactly what is triggered to happen at shutdown, and in
what order. On some it works perfectly, each and every time, on
others it seems to trigger but only part of the ring sound plays (but
you still get something), and on others still it doesn't work. The
majority have fallen into cases one and two.

All of the above presumes that the account you are logged in with at
the time you're doing all of the above has administrative privileges.
You cannot set up events with a standard account.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299 (dot
level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

*Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's
mind.
* * ~ Somerset Maugham*

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

George,

           If yours is the only account on the machine you almost certainly must have an Administrator account.  You can double check this by going to Settings, Accounts when you're logged in as any given user on a given machine and then checking in the Your Info section to see if it lists the account as Administrator or Standard (at least I think the alternative is Standard, I haven't used a non-Administrator account in so many years I can't count and the last one I set up that was non-admin, on another machine, was about 2 years ago).

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

George Gray

Brian!

How does one determine if they have administrative privileges on their
machine and if not how does one enable that?on their machine?

For those who would like a Shutdown sound, first, make sure that Fast
Startup is turned OFF.  Control Panel, Power Options, Chose what the Power
button does link, Change settings that are currently unavailable link,
uncheck the checkbox for "Turn on fast startup (recommended).

Download the attached XML file:  PlayShutdownSound.xml    This contains the
XML code for a system task that will play a sound (one of the built in
Microsoft "ring" sounds that does not sound like a phone, but more like
chimes) when the system event indicating a shutdown is taking place is
started.  Know where you put it.

Then, open Control Panel, Administrative Tasks, Task Scheduler.  Hit
ALT+A,M  (Actions Menu, Import option) which will open up an Open dialog
[...]

Then, open Control Panel, Administrative Tasks, Task Scheduler.  Hit ALT+A,M  (Actions Menu, Import option) which will open up an Open dialog where you will navigate to find the XML file.  Select that file then activate the Open button.  This will open the "Create Task" dialog.  Activate the OK button.  This should create the task to play the shutdown sound when your account that you were using to create this task tells the computer to shutdown.

This has behaved differently on different machines, much of which is determined by exactly what is triggered to happen at shutdown, and in what order.  On some it works perfectly, each and every time, on others it seems to trigger but only part of the ring sound plays (but you still get something), and on others still it doesn't work.  The majority have fallen into cases one and two.

All of the above presumes that the account you are logged in with at the time you're doing all of the above has administrative privileges.  You cannot set up events with a standard account.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I found the link sorry about that.

This message provides the method to enable a shutdown sound, and has been confirmed to work by others in the thread as well.

Timothy

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

there is no link or message that I see.

This message provides the method to enable a shutdown sound, and has been confirmed to work by others in the thread as well.

Timothy

Timothy

This message provides the method to enable a shutdown sound, and has been confirmed to work by others in the thread as well.

Timothy

Val Paul <vpcara79@...>

Hi Kevin!

As far as i can gather, they've abandoned the turnoff jingle.

Val.

On 05/03/2018 02:34, Dennis L wrote:
I would love to know if you can get a shut down sound.