Topics

Microsoft Office 2016

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Hi friends,

my new laptop seems to be pulling down Microsoft updates for Microsoft Office 2016, that is strange as it is not installed or doesn't appear to be in add/remove programmes.

It may be that Dell pre-built it with a demo ready to go, has anyone come across this before and know how to get rid of it as I have 2007  installed.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Steven,

           Microsoft would just love all of us to upgrade to Office 365 or Office 2016, but many of us are not interested.  Go to Settings, Privacy, Background Apps Pane and search for either "Get Office" or "My Office".  The latter is the latest name for the app that tries to encourage you to upgrade and that will download the modules necessary to do so, repeatedly as they change over time.

           If you can't find that app, or it's already got it's "allowed to run in the background" setting toggled to OFF then I haven't a clue.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

That is fantastic, found My Office in there and turned it off.

There are lots of things in there, probably stuff that I will never need, I can probably go through them and turn off the ones that I don’t want.

Thanks again for all your help, I didn’t even know that this section existed!

           Microsoft would just love all of us to upgrade to Office 365 or Office 2016, but many of us are not interested.  Go to Settings, Privacy, Background Apps Pane and search for either "Get Office" or "My Office".  The latter is the latest name for the app that tries to encourage you to upgrade and that will download the modules necessary to do so, repeatedly as they change over time.

           If you can't find that app, or it's already got it's "allowed to run in the background" setting toggled to OFF then I haven't a clue.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Steven,

        You're welcome.   I have turned off all but two or three background apps.  Like you, I never use the bulk of them and I don't mind if they're taking up disk space, but I don't need 'em hogging processor time.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Absolutely my thoughts, there is a button as well that you can just click to turn them all off if you want to.

Now, I need to try to work out that Realtek keyboard power saving option which is really annoying, there are supposed to be registry settings but I couldn't find them, supposed to be in hk/cu/software/realtek but I wonder if the registry tree is slightly different for a 64 bit os, I have a feeling that there may be separate value trees.

        You're welcome.   I have turned off all but two or three background apps.  Like you, I never use the bulk of them and I don't mind if they're taking up disk space, but I don't need 'em hogging processor time.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Steven,

           Although I do not have a Realtek wireless (I presume wireless) keyboard virtually all devices that allow independent active power management have a dedicated program in the system tray and/or an entry in Control Panel that allows you to tweak it to your liking.  Otherwise I'd look in Device Manager to see if there's a checkbox for the device that allows Windows to put it to sleep to save power and that checkbox is checked.  I've known lots of people who've disabled Windows' ability to turn off USB ports for power saving purposes because they have issues with them waking back up as they should.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Timothy

If it's a 32-bit application, then try:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Realtek

Timothy

Absolutely my thoughts, there is a button as well that you can just click to turn them all off if you want to.

Now, I need to try to work out that Realtek keyboard power saving option which is really annoying, there are supposed to be registry settings but I couldn't find them, supposed to be in hk/cu/software/realtek but I wonder if the registry tree is slightly different for a 64 bit os, I have a feeling that there may be separate value trees.

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Thanks but nothing in there either.