W10 shutdown sound

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

I followed the below MS instructions for obtaining a shutdown sound by changing the registry value to “0” but the option, “System Exit” does not appear in the list of sound options.

After a couple of reboots, the registry value is still set to zero so thatI know the change is permanent but still no “System Exit” option is shown.  However,  there is a “Windows Exit” option which has been assigned  a sound but this does not give a shutdown sound either.  I can’t remember if the “Exit Windows” option  was available prior to the registry modification.

In the registry, there is a “Windows Log Off” option given so am wondering if this would be worth modifying in order to obtain a sound when the system shuts down.

Has anyone been able to obtain a shutdown sound?

Thanks, Tom.

Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Shutdown sound is available in Windows 10 and was available in Windows 8. Just the feature is hidden and we will help you out.

Firstly we have to enable the feature from registry.

Press Windows + R, Type regedit.

On UAC screen, Press Yes.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels.

Here you will be able to see a list of sound events.

Scroll down and click on System exit.

To the right pane, locate the key ExludeFromCPL and double click on it and change its value to 0 and click OK.

Now come to your Desktop screen closing the registry editor and right click the Sound icon on the Taskbar and select Sounds.

Under program events you will be able to see the System exit option.

Choose the event and change the sound from sounds drop down box.

In this way you will be able to change the shutdown sound in Windows 10.

Disclaimer: These methods contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756

Refer (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows)

(

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Back up the registry

Windows 10

You can back up the registry by

creating a System Restore Point

, or you can back it up manually:

From the Start menu, in the search box, type regedit.exe, and then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Registry Editor, locate and click the registry key or subkey that you want to back up.

Click File > Export.

In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name field.

Click Save.

.

Restore the registry

Use the restore feature or the import feature in Reg Edit.