Re: Brave Questions

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you can of course also just open the zip file/folder, press Control + A to select all if that is what you want, press Control + C to copy and then go into any other location/folder and press Conrol + V to paste. This will paste the files and/or folders from the zip archive into the new location where they are no longer compressed.

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Martin McCormick
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 5:08 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Brave Questions

Using the brave browser, how does one not only download zip archives to c:\users\yourname\downloads but extract the contents in to c:\users\yourname?

I've been using windows10, actually windows period, for 2-and-1-half years and you may wonder what I have been doing before but I don't install zip files every day and keep meaning to ask 2 questions:

1. How do you get brave to not only put the archive in Downloads but extract to a subdirectory in c:\users\yourname?

Being a unix user, I have had brave drop the file in downloads and then I used power shell to expand-archive Downloads\file.zip . For those who aren't in to command-lines, that dot or period separated by a space says to extract the contents starting here which means whatever directory you are in now. You could have typed

expand-archive downloads\file.zip c:\users\yourname

and it would mean the same thing if you wanted to put it in your directory.

I've got to download and expand 2 archives today so I figured I'd learn to do it the most efficient way.

The other question is a more general one. When running whatever browser one is using right now, is there a key sequence that takes you to operating instructions and then lets you go back to whatever you were doing before you needed the instructions?

I've actually gotten kind of hesitant to stray off the path because sometimes, you end up in the mercenary spider web of shopping carts that pop up and what I call Microsoft flies that light on you and try to sell you Office365 or some other expensive software because you stumbled in to a word document or a CSV file and the vending gods smell a commercial opportunity.
Alt+F4 is my fly-swatter when that happens.

In case anyone wonders, I have been doing unix things since 1989 and love it but got in to Windows10 because there are some applications for programming two-way radios that only exist in Windows. Also, nvda is the first free-of-charge screen reader for Windows and Windows has grown up a lot so I mostly like it also.

Thanks.

Martin McCormick