Re: Emoji Panel Won't Open

Hi,

I see.

Looks like I need to set a precedent for other screen reader developers: can you do the following for me please:

1. Restart NVDA with debug logging enabled (NVDA+Q, then select “restart with debug logging”).
  2. After NVDA restarts, go to an edit field and press Windows+Period to open emoji panel.
  3. Press the arrow keys to navigate around it. You may or may not hear things.
  4. Press Escape to close emoji panel.
  5. Press NVDA+F1 to open NVDA log viewer.
  6. Copy and paste everything as a private email to me.

I ask for a private log in order to protect privacy (NVDA debug logs contain input and output records). I’ll report my findings to the forum cluster after analyzing the log.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:09 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Emoji Panel Won't Open

Yes, the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is installed, but the man shrugging thing is the only thing NVDA announces.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 7:01 PM

Hi,

Ah, so NVDA does announce things somewhat. Is this with Windows 10 App Essentials add-on installed? If not, I advise installing it first and see if that makes a difference (if it doesn’t, then looks like I will be busy this weekend debugging it).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:59 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io

Hi Joseph,

I open Notepad, Wordpad, Word or a new email and I press, Windows key + period.  The only response I get is with NVDA and with NVDA if I press the Windows key + period keystroke NVDA reports, man shrugging, but that's it.  I can't move to a different emoji or category, and this emoji won't paste into the open document.  It acts like the emoji panel open and then closes.  NVDA is the only screen reading program that I get this little bit of response with, Jaws & Narrator reports nothing.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 6:18 PM

Hi,

Can you tell us steps you are taking to open the emoji panel so I can double-check with NVDA and JAWS 2021?

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 5:28 PM
To: Win10 <win10@win10.groups.io>
Subject: [win10] Emoji Panel Won't Open

Hi All,

Running the latest of Windows 10 & Jaws 2021.  Can anyone tell me why my emoji panel won't open when the appropriate keystrokes are used to open?  It won't
open in my email client, Notepad or Word.  My Region and language setting are English United States as stated from a search I did.  Admittedly I don't use it very often, but the last time I wanted it it was available and that was probably 3 or 4 months ago.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Join win10@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.