Re: putting this pc on the desktop?

The exact way Jaws announces this is as follows:

Desktop icons Computer 3 state button not checked, alt+m

What a "3 State Button" is is hard to know, but the fact is that that is what you want to check and pressing the spacebar will toggle the checkbox from not checked to checked, then tab I think about 5 times to OK and activate it, after that you can close settings with Alt + F4. I don't want This PC on my desktop because I can easily access it from anywhere with the Windows Key + E shortcut or press the start menu and start typing "This", but I do like my user folder on the desktop which is another option in this list. For some reason from time to time it goes away and I have to recheck it, but the key here definitely is to make sure you also press OK or Apply after you check the item.

By the way, if you want another much more useful way to access This PC I would put it on the taskbar where you can use Windows Key + whatever number This PC is on your taskbar to activate it form anywhere, no need to first go to the desktop.

For example, if you have This PC pinned to your taskbar in position 4, Windows Key + 4 on the number row will open it from anywhere.

To do this press the Windows Key, type "This PC" or part of it until you hear Jaws say "This PC, app, press right to switch preview", then press Alt + F10 or you rapplication key and select "Pin to Taskbar".

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 6:35 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] putting this pc on the desktop?

Thanks Kevin, I saw a place where it said something was partially checked whatever that means, I'll go back and see if it was computer and if so I'll check it and see what happens.

Troy

On 2/23/2021 8:08 AM, Kevin Minor wrote:

Hi.

I can’t remember exactly what I did, but on the screen where the This PC was, there’s a checkbox with Computer next to it. Nothing worked for me until I checked it.

Hope this works.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:59 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io

Hi Troy,

After you make your selection of the desktop icons you need to tab to the, Okay button, and press either the spacebar or enter.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:37 AM

Hi Brian,

I found where you're talking about but neither hitting the spacebar or enter on the this pc icon adds it to the desktop.

Troy

On 2/22/2021 10:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Settings, Personalization, Themes Pane, Desktop Icon Settings link.

In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog, there is a set of checkboxes for the common system desktop icons you may want.  Checking the Computer checkbox will put "This PC" on the desktop.  Do not ask me why they have never, as yet, changed "Computer" to "This PC" as the This PC designation is even used just below these checkboxes in the area where the icons themselves are shown.  It's a holdover that has yet to be updated.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Join win10@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.