Letter from the head list representative: help me choose a person who will succeed me as forum owner #AdminNotice

Hello Win10 Forum family,

Around this time last year, I announced my intention to retire from serving as forum owner/head list representative to concentrate on the next phase of my life. After some delay, I am ready to pass on the leadership baton to a qualified successor from amongst members. But I can’t decide alone – I need your help in choosing who will succeed me.

Prospective candidates must be:

  • A blind active user of Windows 10 since no later than January 2017.
  • An active member of Win10 Forum since no later than January 2018 and is known to provide useful contributions in various forms.
  • An active user of screen readers with demonstrated expertise (or power user status) in at least two of them. For the purposes of screen readers, Narrator does count as one. For at least one of them, the person must be considered an expert or had discussions with vendors.
  • Must be considered an adult where they live.
  • Have some experience with managing forums and some familiarity with Groups.IO platform (both web and email).

Ideal candidate qualifications:

  • A blind active user of Windows 10 for the last five years (since January 2016 or since Version 1607 era, whichever is earlier).
  • An active member of Win10 Forum since no later than January 2017 with documented evidence of useful contributions through various forms.
  • Must be at least 25 years old.
  • Must be familiar with most screen readers compatible with Windows 10 (Narrator included) with documented expertise in at least two of them.
  • Extensive forum management experience, including Groups.IO platform.
  • An active Windows Insider and is familiar with Windows 10 ecosystem concepts such as Xbox, Windows as a Service, understanding Windows 10 development news and such.

In addition, prospective candidates must be able to say the following things:

  • You are right: listening to different perspectives.
  • I am sorry: recognizing mistakes and learning from them.

You cannot nominate someone who was banned (dismissed) from Win10 Forum, and screen reader vendor staff (including Microsoft employees who are members of this forum) cannot become a forum owner in order to keep impartiality. Further, you cannot nominate Maheen (an owner of a direct predecessor of this forum who was banned on this forum due to vaporizing the predecessor forum without any notice whatsoever; vaporizing (closing) a forum without advance notice and consent of members is considered a critical offense, and anyone doing it cannot become a leader of this forum).

If you know a member of this list you think meets or exceeds the above qualifications (including if you think you do qualify), please send a nomination to win10+owner@win10.groups.io. Be sure to include the nominee’s name, qualifications, and why you think the nominee should succeed me. Nominations will be accepted until January 31, 2021 and prospective candidates will be announced shortly afterward. After that, I will be interviewing candidates in February, and based on a discussion between forum leaders, candidates themselves, and your nominations, I will make the final decision by March 1, 2021. Between the moment I announce my successor and Version 21H2 is released is considered a transition period (where my successor will shadow me as an intern owner empowered to make minor admin decisions), and a week after 21H2 is released, I will officially step down from my role as head list representative/owner.

So please think carefully and help me make a wise decision as to who will succeed me and make Win10 Forum for Screen Reader Users a helpful and effective resource on using Windows 10 ecosystem with screen readers for years to come.