Re: to wifi or not to wifi

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  Another way to look at it is how many doors do you have to open and close as to those doors already being open.  I always looked at the speed of a server service as to how many users are pulling from it at one time.  The more of them, the slower you will receive the service or information you wish to receive.  Another way to look at this is having an electric light hooked to a switch.  Is it in parallel or searies, if in searies it can pull more electricity then in parallel.

Dave

On 1/10/2021 10:26 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 12:24 AM, Sean Murphy wrote:
If you are using the internet then it doesn’t really matter if you use wired or wireless.
-
I'm sorry, but as an unqualified statement that's very simply incorrect.

There are many situations (one of which was already described, the presence of a multi-WiFi network rich operating environment) that has the potential to have significant impacts on WiFi performance on heavy traffic channels (and older hardware isn't trying to seek out empty channels).  Ethernet never has this issue.

The above being said, I absolutely agree that trying to describe throughput is somewhat an exercise in futility.  I always use the example of either a series of pipes and hoses delivering water, where the fastest flow you will get in the whole collection is determined by the narrowest constriction in that series, or of a bucket brigade where you have individuals who are significantly slower "somewhere in the middle, somewhere" and this is what limits the ultimate number of buckets you get, and at what speed, on the end where the water gets thrown.

I'm constantly trying to explain to my partner that the reason that Zoom, for instance, is slow and flaky is almost never going to be the result of something on his machine, which has way more than enough firepower to handle it all at once.  It's because, somewhere out there in cyberspace, there's a hitch in the gitty-up of the data coming to and going from his computer to the meeting hub and/or participants.  The same is true when the browsing experience in general slows down.  And there are times where the end you're trying to reach from wherever you are happens to be down entirely.  All of these things happen, both singly, and sometimes in combination.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)