Re: How do I get out of the Cortana screen?

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Just for the sake of interest, is this a bug or is it just that Cortana is programmed to work this way?  Seems like a roundabout way to me, just to end a process you might not need or might have just accidentally triggered.  If it is programmed to work this way, then the people in charge should have a rethink because I cannot imagine the trouble it would cause if more apps must be terminated in such a nonsensical way.  Cheers!

On 13/1/2021 10:44 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Cortana is a floating window, therefore you can’t simply let go of her by pressing Alt+F4. You must tell her to go by going to either:

  1. Task Manager, then Details tab and looking for cortana.exe and ending it.
  2. Settings (Windows+I)/Apps/Apps and features, select Cortana from the list of apps, go to Advanced options and choose Terminate.

This applies to Cortana second generation (Version 2004), which some of you should have encountered in one way or another by now.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 5:19 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] How do I get out of the Cortana screen?

Where would all those settings be? I’m also having trouble exiting the application of Cortana even though I press alt F4 but does no good. Therefore, I just don’t use it unless I need to/restart my computer immediately afterward to get out of there.

On Jan 9, 2021, at 6:29 PM, Adrian Spratt <adrian@...> wrote:

Hi, Bill. I copied your earlier directions on how to quit Cortana. Here, you add to make sure that Cortana's Background Apps setting is turned off. I can’t find that option. Is it hidden if it’s already turned off?