Re: Why does my shutdown menu always have an option to "update and restart?"

Bill,

Feature updates can and do occasionally "burp" and result in peculiar behavior.  I've had a couple of those myself, and almost invariably, if I do a repair install afterward it fixes things.  If it doesn't, I then restore from my backup and try applying the update using these instructions, not the Download and Install link in Windows Update, after a couple of weeks have passed and using a freshly downloaded ISO file:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Notice that doing a Feature Update versus a Repair Install is exactly the same as far as the steps you follow.  The only difference is a Feature Update means you're using an ISO file for a Version that's newer than what's currently running  while a Repair Install uses a fresh copy of the ISO file for the same Version that's already running.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

Join win10@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.