Re: New PC setup?

Hi,
You need to wait until Windows Setup is loaded before starting Narrator, as no screen reader (or for that matter, no Windows app) is compatible with the firmware interface.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clement Chou
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 8:53 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] New PC setup?

Thanks Brian. That was my thinking as well, to get rid of all the extra drivers and bloatware I don't really want to have lying around.
But if that can be done through control pannel then I may take that approach rather than reinstalling the whole thing from scratch as I'm not as comfortable yet with working in a pre-installation environment.
I would like to learn, however. I'll check out the file you linked for sure! The possibility of wiping everything and starting with a completely clean slate before starting to use it also has a bit of apeal. What are your thoughts on system imaging and tools for creating those and user backups?
I'm also curious as to where narrator starts working. When I press
f12 for the boot menu, can narrator be started there? Or do I have to wait until after I've selected the boot media?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:49 AM, Russell James wrote:

I don't understand the need for doing a clean windows install when
you first get the computer maybe you can explain more
-
First, let me note, I do not do this as standard practice. I'd rather
weed out the manufacturer supplied "optional software" (often
bloatware) on my own from Control Panel, Programs and Features, rather
than *Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media
Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb
Drive.* (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&;id=1XBakbeS4WYPN3-O5ET5HIQ
O_Qey-g3XK
)

That being said, there are many who do a completely clean reinstall of
Windows 10 immediately because it gives you the cleanest, most "de-bloated,"
version of Windows 10 that's available. And given how good Windows 10
has become in having the correct drivers to pull from in The Great
Microsoft Driver Library in the Cloud because most manufacturers are
supplying them with same, the worries from the old days about driver
reinstalls are, for the most part, unnecessary.

It's really a matter of personal preference, and mine is not to do a
completely clean reinstall, while others prefer to do one. Neither is
wrong, and which is better is entirely a matter of perspective and
personal preference.

As for the manufacturer recovery partitions, for the most part they're
obsolete almost upon arrival. Once you've had a couple of Windows 10
Feature Updates, driver updates over time, lots of software
installations, etc., it makes no sense to go back to whatever was on
the computer when it was new. If one were to need to do a "nuke and
pave" at a much later point in time then a completely clean reinstall
with the install media for the current Windows 10 release version is the only way to go.

That is but one of the reasons why having a backup plan that includes
a full system image as well as separate user data backup(s) should be
considered standard practice if you care anything about both your time and your data.
It's so much easier to restore from a backup than to start from
scratch if something goes really wrong.
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101: *If someone says it’s raining and another person says
it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look
out the f**king window and find out which is true.*

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)