Re: New PC setup?

Clement Chou

Thanks Brian. That was my thinking as well, to get rid of all the
extra drivers and bloatware I don't really want to have lying around.
But if that can be done through control pannel then I may take that
approach rather than reinstalling the whole thing from scratch as I'm
not as comfortable yet with working in a pre-installation environment.
I would like to learn, however. I'll check out the file you linked for
sure! The possibility of wiping everything and starting with a
completely clean slate before starting to use it also has a bit of
apeal. What are your thoughts on system imaging and tools for creating
those and user backups?
I'm also curious as to where narrator starts working. When I press
f12 for the boot menu, can narrator be started there? Or do I have to
wait until after I've selected the boot media?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:49 AM, Russell James wrote:

I don't understand the need for doing a clean windows install when you
first get the computer maybe you can explain more
-
First, let me note, I do not do this as standard practice.  I'd rather weed
out the manufacturer supplied "optional software" (often bloatware) on my
own from Control Panel, Programs and Features, rather than *Doing a
Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to
Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive.* (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&;id=1XBakbeS4WYPN3-O5ET5HIQO_Qey-g3XK
)

That being said, there are many who do a completely clean reinstall of
Windows 10 immediately because it gives you the cleanest, most "de-bloated,"
version of Windows 10 that's available.  And given how good Windows 10 has
become in having the correct drivers to pull from in The Great Microsoft
Driver Library in the Cloud because most manufacturers are supplying them
with same, the worries from the old days about driver reinstalls are, for
the most part, unnecessary.

It's really a matter of personal preference, and mine is not to do a
completely clean reinstall, while others prefer to do one.  Neither is
wrong, and which is better is entirely a matter of perspective and personal
preference.

As for the manufacturer recovery partitions, for the most part they're
obsolete almost upon arrival.  Once you've had a couple of Windows 10
Feature Updates, driver updates over time, lots of software installations,
etc., it makes no sense to go back to whatever was on the computer when it
was new.  If one were to need to do a "nuke and pave" at a much later point
in time then a completely clean reinstall with the install media for the
current Windows 10 release version is the only way to go.

That is but one of the reasons why having a backup plan that includes a full
system image as well as separate user data backup(s) should be considered
standard practice if you care anything about both your time and your data.
It's so much easier to restore from a backup than to start from scratch if
something goes really wrong.
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101: *If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s
dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the
f**king window and find out which is true.*

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)