Re: to wifi or not to wifi

Nimer Jaber

Yes, and ATT is no longer activating new connections on ADSL. So, hopefully we will get that tech phazed out here.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 4:59 AM Cornelius <mr.buta21@...> wrote:

VDSL is the one which can offer higher speed than ADSL.
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 5:49 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] to wifi or not to wifi

That is simply incorrect.

ADSL, which is still alive and well, offers the worst speeds ever after satallite. I am pretty certain ADSL is the worst possible internet you can buy after satallite. The max speed over ADSL2+ is 24 mb down, and 1 mb up. And that assumes living right next to the cabinet and having best wiring. In practice,  the max speed is 12-16 mbps. I was stuck with ATT dsl because of an exclusive contract signed by the apartment complex, and even audio calls wern't relyable because regardless of the download speed, the upload was 1 mbps, which actually is 0.8 or so. And there are people who have it worse

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/11/what-using-atts-768kbps-dsl-is-like-in-2020-yes-its-awful/

On 1/11/2021 2:54 AM, g melconian wrote:

That  is strange even the better dsl speeds now a days should at least get 50 or better.  AT least that  is what iwas told. I am on cable through  comcast x finity and that they have just pushed the giga bit speeds in my neighborhood  and I really like it.spectrum with cable offers   200  that is what hey have been advertising lately, an then there is a 400 in the sspectrum  offering up which cost you about $90 or so and that  will get you  at least half of gigabit speed better then what you have.inquire about that and se if that will help you out .  I think that  all these dsl  copper wires are being phased out for fiber and 5g LTE connections going forward . 

From: win10@win10.groups.io mailto:win10@win10.groups.io On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 11:59 PM

That is dsl, and absolutely horrific speed.

Look into signing up for 4g/lte home internet if available in your area. It will likely be faster.

On 1/10/2021 10:58 PM, Timothy VD Berg wrote:

Hi

I would not mide  to have such line speeds.  I Have only a 6MBS line speed and download  Is 600KBS and upload is 200KBS

Thanks

Enjoy

Timothy

From: win10@win10.groups.io mailto:win10@win10.groups.io On Behalf Of Hamit Campos
Sent: Sunday, 10 January 2021 20:26

Wow Google Fiber? I wana hear more about that. Email me off list please Jarry. I wana see about getting it. Thanks. hamitcampos@...

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Hogan
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:45 PM

I disagree, WiFi wireless is going to up and down with the signal and using a Ethernet with a cat5 cable or better will give you a steady signal rather wirless signal, my wife streaming Romania box she get 45 channel and have the Ethernet cable she does not lose no signal and I do not have to put in a password for her box, she was losing picture with wirless, but now I have Google Fiber with 1GB up and down, I did a speed test on my Eero mess syster and I have 600 to 900 up and down  for the MB.

Jerry Hogan

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 11:26 AM

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 12:24 AM, Sean Murphy wrote:

If you are using the internet then it doesn’t really matter if you use wired or wireless.

-
I'm sorry, but as an unqualified statement that's very simply incorrect.

There are many situations (one of which was already described, the presence of a multi-WiFi network rich operating environment) that has the potential to have significant impacts on WiFi performance on heavy traffic channels (and older hardware isn't trying to seek out empty channels).  Ethernet never has this issue.

The above being said, I absolutely agree that trying to describe throughput is somewhat an exercise in futility.  I always use the example of either a series of pipes and hoses delivering water, where the fastest flow you will get in the whole collection is determined by the narrowest constriction in that series, or of a bucket brigade where you have individuals who are significantly slower "somewhere in the middle, somewhere" and this is what limits the ultimate number of buckets you get, and at what speed, on the end where the water gets thrown.

I'm constantly trying to explain to my partner that the reason that Zoom, for instance, is slow and flaky is almost never going to be the result of something on his machine, which has way more than enough firepower to handle it all at once.  It's because, somewhere out there in cyberspace, there's a hitch in the gitty-up of the data coming to and going from his computer to the meeting hub and/or participants.  The same is true when the browsing experience in general slows down.  And there are times where the end you're trying to reach from wherever you are happens to be down entirely.  All of these things happen, both singly, and sometimes in combination.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Journalism 101:  If someone says it’s raining and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. It’s your job to look out the f**king window and find out which is true.

~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Join win10@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.