Re: New PC setup?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:49 AM, Russell James wrote:
I don't understand the need for doing a clean windows install when you first get the computer maybe you can explain more
-
First, let me note, I do not do this as standard practice.  I'd rather weed out the manufacturer supplied "optional software" (often bloatware) on my own from Control Panel, Programs and Features, rather than Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive.

That being said, there are many who do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10 immediately because it gives you the cleanest, most "de-bloated," version of Windows 10 that's available.  And given how good Windows 10 has become in having the correct drivers to pull from in The Great Microsoft Driver Library in the Cloud because most manufacturers are supplying them with same, the worries from the old days about driver reinstalls are, for the most part, unnecessary.

It's really a matter of personal preference, and mine is not to do a completely clean reinstall, while others prefer to do one.  Neither is wrong, and which is better is entirely a matter of perspective and personal preference.

As for the manufacturer recovery partitions, for the most part they're obsolete almost upon arrival.  Once you've had a couple of Windows 10 Feature Updates, driver updates over time, lots of software installations, etc., it makes no sense to go back to whatever was on the computer when it was new.  If one were to need to do a "nuke and pave" at a much later point in time then a completely clean reinstall with the install media for the current Windows 10 release version is the only way to go.

That is but one of the reasons why having a backup plan that includes a full system image as well as separate user data backup(s) should be considered standard practice if you care anything about both your time and your data.  It's so much easier to restore from a backup than to start from scratch if something goes really wrong.

      ~ Jonathan Foster (attributed)