locked Re: Brand of PC - Any ones more compatible with screen readers than others?

Hamit Campos

Yes same here with that $300 HP.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 6:57 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Brand of PC - Any ones more compatible with screen readers than others?

That’s interesting because in my experience plugging an external keyboard in to a laptop that has it’s function keys set to behave that way will usually solve the issue.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: December 10, 2020 6:42 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Brand of PC - Any ones more compatible with screen readers than others?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 05:35 PM, Jerry Hogan wrote:

Why you did not purchase  a keyboard with a dongle or connect a keyboard with a USB end? This will work very well with out the function  key.

-
When function key control is UEFI/BIOS driven, it will not matter whether you are using the built-in or an external keyboard under most circumstances.  It's at the firmware level where how these behave is determined.  They will be treated equivalently whether from the built-in or an external keyboard.

I've had to tweak my HP computers because the function keys are initially mapped as media, display, and volume control keys.  And the only way to do that is to disable the feature in UEFI/BIOS.

Some makers do allow this to be handled by a utility within Windows.  Depending on the exact make/model, some of the Lenovo family of computers have this.  From Lenovo Support:

You may want to disable the hotkey functionality of the function keys (F1, F2, and so on) in Windows 8.1/10, to avoid having to press Fn to use the function. The methods differ by models: (help me to find my product name/serial number).

Note:
For some models like Yoga 900s or Yoga 910, hotkey settings have been removed from the BIOS configuration. Use Lenovo Settings to configure.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042
The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Join win10@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.