Re: Does powering down, then cutting AC power, have a negative impact on a PC?

Hamit Campos

Okay thanks Brian for all your help. Again sorry for the mystery but just wanted to be safe. Don’t know if I should go into why this is all happening on list. But again thanks for your answers. Again sorry I’m not being 100% clear but I couldn’t get your email to email you directly.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 6:10 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Does powering down, then cutting AC power, have a negative impact on a PC?

One should never do an "ungraceful shutdown" by just cutting power, or by holding in the power button on a computer, unless there is no other option.  There are seldom issues from doing this, but when there are problems, they tend to be huge ones.

One should always use the graceful shutdown method(s) provided by the operating system in question.  In the case of Windows 10 there are a number of these, including the shutdown command.

I have a shortcut on my desktop for an immediate and "without questions" shutdown, which I seldom use, where the target in the shortcut is:
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)