Re: Does powering down, then cutting AC power, have a negative impact on a PC?

Hamit Campos

Ah thanks. Now the whole shutting off the PC with out going into the menus and doing it in air quotes the right way. Does that hurt anything? Again sorry I’m kind of being vegue but the why is the off list part. Meaning the why all this is happening and why I ask.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 5:27 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] Does powering down, then cutting AC power, have a negative impact on a PC?

I don't build PCs, for the record.

Short answer:  No, or certainly not enough of a negative impact to be worth considering.

Powering down a machine and cutting it's input power nightly should not cause any damage.  There is the potential to stress hard disk drives a bit more since they will have to spin up from the stopped state more frequently, but that certainly isn't something I'd even be worrying about in making this decision.  Solid state drives have no moving parts, so they should be entirely unaffected, not unlike RAM.

        ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)