Re: A sudden bit of trouble with a thumb drive

Mike B

Tom,

Here are the 2 most pertinent replies.

Brian Vogel
Dec 5  
#49145  
If you have a system that's not recognizing USB drives based on size then something is wrong, period.  It's impossible to know whether that's a corruption
in Windows, an issue with the USB port (or one or more of the contacts in the port), an issue with the contacts on the USB drive, or a dying USB drive,
without additional diagnostics.

If a drive works perfectly on several other devices then that pretty much eliminates the "dying USB drive" option.  But note, several other devices.  Also
always test with a different USB port on the device where it's having issues to see if that solves the issue.

Windows, and any other operating system, is not and should not be picky about drive size.  If it is, then a repair install or feature updtate of the OS
would be a good idea (and, sadly, at the moment repair installs cannot be done on 20H2 due to a bug, which has been fixed, but the fix has not yet been
pushed out).

USB flash drives are well-known for having finite service lives, and given how cheap they are, if you start to see misbehavior with one across multiple
devices the best thing is to copy your data off, get a new drive, copy that data on to the new drive and pitch the one that's going wonky.
Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

 Don H
Dec 5  
#49147  
In the past if I have trouble with USB devices not being recognized I went into device manager and uninstalled the USB devices and rebooted the computer.
 During the reboot they are reinstalled.
Don

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2020 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] A sudden bit of trouble with a thumb drive

Using :win10 20H2 64 bit

Hi Mike

The USB flash drive d: does not appear in the recycle bin properties list of drives.

Is there any way to force windows 10 to display this flash drive?

Thanks

Tom

On 6/12/2020 3:01 pm, Mike B wrote:
Only if this drive shows up in the properties of the Recycle Bin on your desktop.  Highlight the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop and press, Alt + Enter, to open the properties.

You should now be in a list of available drives so, up / down arrow to see if this drive you're asking about is in this list   .  If you find the drive tab through the tabs which are Custom size, maximum size and display delete confirmation dialogue.

Check both checkboxes and set a maximum size in megabytes which 25000 might be a good number just for sake of an example.  Tab to, Apply, press the spacebar and tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 8:14 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] A sudden bit of trouble with a thumb drive

Hi,

Using: W10 20H2

On the subject of flash or thumb drives,I use a USB 3.0 32gb drive as my
D drive and where lots of email messages, downloads etc are stored for a
while. I have noticed that when a file is deleted from this flash
drive, the deleted file is not moved to the recycle bin as when using a
hard drive. Instead it is removed from the system altogether.

My question is,is it possible to have the deleted material from the
flash drive sent to the recycle bin as a type of safety measure as
happens when deleting from the hard drive?

Thanks

Tom

Join win10@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.