Re: A sudden bit of trouble with a thumb drive

Mike B

Tom,

Here are the 2 most pertinent replies.

Brian Vogel
Dec 5
#49145  
If you have a system that's not recognizing USB drives based on size then something is wrong, period.  It's impossible to know whether that's a corruption
in Windows, an issue with the USB port (or one or more of the contacts in the port), an issue with the contacts on the USB drive, or a dying USB drive,
without additional diagnostics.

If a drive works perfectly on several other devices then that pretty much eliminates the "dying USB drive" option.  But note, several other devices.  Also
always test with a different USB port on the device where it's having issues to see if that solves the issue.

Windows, and any other operating system, is not and should not be picky about drive size.  If it is, then a repair install or feature updtate of the OS
would be a good idea (and, sadly, at the moment repair installs cannot be done on 20H2 due to a bug, which has been fixed, but the fix has not yet been
pushed out).

USB flash drives are well-known for having finite service lives, and given how cheap they are, if you start to see misbehavior with one across multiple
devices the best thing is to copy your data off, get a new drive, copy that data on to the new drive and pitch the one that's going wonky.

 Don H
Dec 5
#49147  
In the past if I have trouble with USB devices not being recognized I went into device manager and uninstalled the USB devices and rebooted the computer.
 During the reboot they are reinstalled.
Don

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.