Re: Fatal Installer Error

Quentin that was a fantastic discovery.
i didnt know about that.
thanks.

On 11/19/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@teksavvy.com> wrote:
Yes…it’s probably a temporary paralysis at worse and not truly fatal. :P

Brings me back to the old Applie II days when I found a game I really hated
on one of the school’s disks, so I went into basic and re-wrote the first
few lines of the programme to abort with a fake error message that said,
‘broken computer and bad disk error.” It was the easiest thing to do on a
system where 90% of the stuff we used was done in Applesoft Basic.

“Boy,” I chuckled to myself with gremlinish glee, “some poor person is going
to have a heart attack when they see or hear that.”

I never did get to find out if anyone discovered the prank, though.

Computers were a lot different then and there really weren’t any disastrous
operating system errors – just damaged disks, which you simply had to throw
out, and total hardware failures, which didn’t really generate any error
messages and which probably necessitated tossing your Apple II E into the
garbage, too, since they were already obsolete by the early 90s…

Anyway, if it’s not malware you’ve got (and I suspect it’s probably not), my
guess would be – a programme that automatically installs new updates, but
that isn’t windows – for example, something like Java, or Adobe Flash Player
or Acrobat. I bet you a few bucks that the error message will come back at
some point, or else the programme will *successfully* install next time.